Motorized Squatting, what's the future?

Dyddy replied on 13/09/2023 09:28

Posted on 13/09/2023 09:28

Interested to hear Club members thoughts on the future of  "Wild Camping"  "Off Gridding" or whichever romantic term you wish -  essentially the practice of avoiding pitching fees overnight & longer (in a vehicle). There were moves afoot to impose fines? Is there a halfway house compromise to be had? Will they permit it in certain locations? - Where do you think legislation is going basically.

Graydjames replied on 14/09/2023 12:39

Posted on 13/09/2023 10:56 by Dyddy

Thanks Tinwheeler, opinion of a club veteran is always much appreciated. So in your opinion the new criminal offence created by the 2022 Act will make little difference in this instance?

Posted on 14/09/2023 12:39

I am confused as to why you did not mention the 2022 Act in your opening post Dyddy. You spoke about "moves afoot" to impose fines. If by reference to the 2022 Act you mean the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022, then, my understanding of that, is that it has already imposed the criminal offence of residing on land without consent in or with a vehicle - with the possibility of fines, and even prison sentences, for those who perpetrate such offences. This received Royal Assent on 28 April 2022.

The article you linked is also clearly referring to that, though it does not say so and albeit that it would have been a Bill when written in 2021.

The Act repeals the Vagrancy Act of 1824, under which residing on land without permission was formerly a civil offence, and introduces the new offence. To give my opinion, as requested, I cannot see it changing much. The new Act is aimed at travellers. The cases where action is taken against a motor homer are likely to be rare, I would have thought. Of course, we can hope that that is because most motor homers would not camp anywhere without consent.

Dyddy replied on 14/09/2023 14:38

Posted on 14/09/2023 14:38

......."To give my opinion, as requested, I cannot see it changing much. The new Act is aimed at travellers. The cases where action is taken against a motor homer are likely to be rare, I would have thought. Of course, we can hope that that is because most motor homers would not camp anywhere without consent".

Gradyjames - My apologies, I assumed any member replying, would be aware without the need of lengthy mention of exacting relevant legislation. Although aimed at travellers as you say " c) a person has or intends to have at least one vehicle with them on the land"  could be used in a much wider context allied to the context of what constitutes "Significant" in each particular case. As you say at this point, rare, if any pertaining to non travellers.

I very much agree that it's not a mainstream issue.

Thank you for your personal thoughts on the post question, they are very much appreciated.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/09/2023 15:13

Posted on 14/09/2023 15:13

My apology too as I did not make the jump from the old and rather obscure article in your link, Dyddy, to the Act which was discussed at some length on here way back the line. I think, though, that any failing on my own part was understandable in view of your OP which centred around wild camping and, as GDJ said, made no reference to the Act.

Whatever, I think we understand the situation and each other now.👍

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook