New Forum software

peedee replied on 16/06/2022 10:30

Posted on 16/06/2022 10:30

i hadn't visited a forum I use for somethime and had a pleasant supprise today, its all new with the comment:

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

I was pleased to note the other day from a horses mouth that a process is also in place to revamp CT and that the handbook is to go digital. (paper copy still to be available for those who want it) No time scale for the former but the handbook will be digital this year, I think August was mentioned. Good to know something is at least happening about the poor functionality of CT but whether it will improve the content is another matter.

peedee

Moderator Comment - I have moved this out of Chat and into Member Services as it seems a better place to discuss Club matters?

DavidKlyne replied on 18/06/2022 12:04

Posted on 18/06/2022 12:04

I agree that in the scheme of things that amount of money is quite small. However I wonder if they are trying to reduced fixed costs which could have a different type of impact on both members and staff?

David

nelliethehooker replied on 18/06/2022 21:08

Posted on 18/06/2022 21:08

There must be something wrong with me as I can find my way round the search processes offered for CLs quite easily using both the online and paper versions of map and list. I think it would be totally amiss for the club to ditch the printed version of the site directory. 

With regards to reviews, although I've not written any for a little while, I have never had a problem leaving one since they extended the time limit on postings. Perhaps having written well over 100 I am well practiced at the process.😁

DavidKlyne replied on 18/06/2022 21:26

Posted on 18/06/2022 21:08 by nelliethehooker

There must be something wrong with me as I can find my way round the search processes offered for CLs quite easily using both the online and paper versions of map and list. I think it would be totally amiss for the club to ditch the printed version of the site directory. 

With regards to reviews, although I've not written any for a little while, I have never had a problem leaving one since they extended the time limit on postings. Perhaps having written well over 100 I am well practiced at the process.😁

Posted on 18/06/2022 21:26

Nellie

I suspect the move towards a digital Site Directory is probably based on the number of "clicks" CL's and Club sites get online as a measure. I am not sure whether I will request a paper version as my site directory sits in the door of the motorhome, unopened from trip to trip. I can understand why you would want a paper version. Its probably safe for a few years to come, after all its only published every two years. 

I just see parallels with my old staff magazine and now the pensioners magazine. The former was always a weekly printed magazine that, even when I retired, I was able to pick from my local branch. Now it is online and it is the only way you can view it. Its been designed in such a way that you can't even print it off! The pensioner magazine is going the same way and new pensioners can only access it online. Perhaps when they officially announce the change they will tell us what the cost implications are. Obviously printing is expensive but even a digital site directory is not without cost.

David

Wherenext replied on 18/06/2022 21:36

Posted on 18/06/2022 21:36

Like Nellie we are well practiced at finding CLs and leaving reviews but they are a lot easier to do on something like UKCampsite website.

Whilst internet connectivity is improving at a rapid rate not everyone has unlimited data usage and with economies being forced upon the population at large I don't see that getting rid of the paper directory will be popular with a portion of the membership. Fine if they are going to provide one if requested but in my experience this just means postponing the date for getting rid of it to sometime in the near future.

I still like perusing the map for a quick check, in the same way that I still like looking at maps and yes I do know I can check them online, and then look at the directory to find the name of the site and then check it out on the website. Like Ttda said further up thread the club do not make it as easy as it should be to navigate ones way around the search.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook