North and South, a bit of fun😁

Takethedogalong replied on 09/03/2023 11:25

Posted on 09/03/2023 11:25

After reading an article about “The North”, it has set us pondering on what (geographically) this means to us. All just a bit of fun, and apologies to friends and acquaintances North of the Border, and West of the Border, but I was wondering how and where others make that definition of “The North”. It ends at the Scottish Border, but where does it start for you? We live in South Yorks, and still think we are “North”. But parts of Derbyshire and indeed Lincolnshire are geographically further North than us on a map.

Are the Cotswold’s SW🤔

Is Dorset South or SW🤔

Do you use any defining features such as rivers or hill ranges to define areas? Crossing the Tamar still remains an “ahhh” moment for us…..🤣

Tammygirl replied on 09/03/2023 22:19

Posted on 09/03/2023 22:19

I was brought up in what was called the east Midlands, Worksop.

It sits on the boundary of Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. 

Down south was considered to be anywhere south of Birmingham, Cambridge. North was Newcastle and above.

Scotland, was well Scotland. Its amazing how folk from down south don't realise how much of Scotland there is north of Edinburgh. 

JK, you have a lot of travelling to do when you finish 😉

DEBSC replied on 09/03/2023 22:34

Posted on 09/03/2023 19:17 by JollyKernow

Nice in north Devon though DEBSClaughing, we love it

JK

Posted on 09/03/2023 22:34

I have to admit JK it took a few years. I used to work for a vibrant American Co in Northampton and got a real culture shock when we moved here, I found work life here very backward looking when we first moved here nearly 40 years ago, especially as a woman. However either it caught up, or I slowed down. Love it here now though, it’s really home. 

dave the rave replied on 11/03/2023 21:08

Posted on 11/03/2023 21:08

According to a snp leadership candidate dumfries and galloway is in northern england because we get border television and are conditioned to rule by westminster!cool

Lukeledge replied on 30/03/2023 09:15

Posted on 30/03/2023 09:15

Grew up in Essex in the seventies when the Watford Gap was considered the start of going North!

Now, living in Scotland anything below Northumbria is down south. This shifts as you go further north in Scotland 😄

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook