Selling reluctantly

KeithandMargaret replied on 04/04/2024 17:23

Posted on 04/04/2024 17:23

It’s come to the point where both of us are physically unable to continue using the Motorhome and we need to sell it relatively quickly.

Have any of you used the Motorhome buyers who advertise giving ‘cash’ for your vehicle and, if so, what was their service like please ?

Or could you point me in the direction of threads on here that cover the same question.

We had considered selling privately but have no wish to risk, however small, the expected value of the Motorhome.

Many happy journeys and hundreds of Videos online keep the memories fresh but I’m certain we’ll miss the carefree life we’ve enjoyed over many years.

DavidKlyne replied on 25/04/2024 16:06

Posted on 25/04/2024 16:06

David

Last year we only did 33 nights away in the van which is low for us and we have to go back to the time when we were dependent on school holidays for such low figures. We managed three nights away in March which was OK but it was before my latest episode with my right knee. We are reluctant to book more sites as Margaret is awaiting an injection in her hip and I am waiting for an x-ray so we don't want to book and then have to cancel. This could go on for weeks and I am just not sure whether its worth keeping the motorhome in the hope that suddenly everything will be OK when it probably won't? We have been doing it for over 40 years so maybe time to let go. We will see how the next month goes and whether things have either improved or moved on. Our attitude towards touring now is that we go away to see things not sit in the van just for a change of scenery, we can be lazy at home!!!

David 

DSB replied on 25/04/2024 17:17

Posted on 25/04/2024 16:06 by DavidKlyne

David

Last year we only did 33 nights away in the van which is low for us and we have to go back to the time when we were dependent on school holidays for such low figures. We managed three nights away in March which was OK but it was before my latest episode with my right knee. We are reluctant to book more sites as Margaret is awaiting an injection in her hip and I am waiting for an x-ray so we don't want to book and then have to cancel. This could go on for weeks and I am just not sure whether its worth keeping the motorhome in the hope that suddenly everything will be OK when it probably won't? We have been doing it for over 40 years so maybe time to let go. We will see how the next month goes and whether things have either improved or moved on. Our attitude towards touring now is that we go away to see things not sit in the van just for a change of scenery, we can be lazy at home!!!

David 

Posted on 25/04/2024 17:17

I think we've always used the caravan as accommodation for us to go out from to see things/ go to places.... and we still go to the beach - but perhaps not as often as we used to. 😀   We've been caravanning for around 33 years, but before that we had a trailer tent, before that a frame tent, and before that a smaller frame tent... we started with a ridge tent.... in 1979. How things have changed!  

Fingers crossed that things will get better, but the main problem is that the wheels of the NHS are moving quite slowly at the moment.  

All good wishes to Margaret and yourself,

David

chasncath replied on 05/05/2024 13:20

Posted on 04/04/2024 17:23 by KeithandMargaret

It’s come to the point where both of us are physically unable to continue using the Motorhome and we need to sell it relatively quickly.

Have any of you used the Motorhome buyers who advertise giving ‘cash’ for your vehicle and, if so, what was their service like please ?

Or could you point me in the direction of threads on here that cover the same question.

We had considered selling privately but have no wish to risk, however small, the expected value of the Motorhome.

Many happy journeys and hundreds of Videos online keep the memories fresh but I’m certain we’ll miss the carefree life we’ve enjoyed over many years.

Posted on 05/05/2024 13:20

Don't dispair K & M, it's still possible to enjoy campsite holidays by renting mobile homes on the Continent and on smaller sites in UK. It means booking and paying in advance but it's still better than hotels and air bnb. En route we use travelodge and premier inns in UK and Accor/Ibis motels in France.

Last year we had a tripdown to the Alps and Annecy, and a two-centre holiday at Houlegate and St Lunaire near Dinan. As we are no longer paying to maintain and insure a motorhome, we feel justified in treating ourselves to outboard cabins on day and night crossings.

We used Eurocamp for some holidays, but Catherine has booked our June trip to Brittany directly with campsites and Brittany ferries. We're going back to St Lunaire and making a return to Camping La Baie at Trinite sur Mer having last been there in 2016 in our motorhome.

eurortraveller replied on 05/05/2024 14:47

Posted on 05/05/2024 14:47

ChasnCath, what an encouraging post - I am pleased to hear you are still out and about.  
You are describing the sort of campsite holiday which is hardly ever mentioned on here, but should be. For those who no longer want to take their own motorhome or caravan the easy, independent, overseas  campsite options are there. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook