SMC Motorhomes - Buyer beware!

Shandyhaggis replied on 21/02/2022 13:26

Posted on 21/02/2022 13:26

Dear all

In case anyone is in the market for a new motorhome and were thinking of approaching SMC in Newark I wanted to highlight my experiences with them to give some food for thought.

I ordered a new motor home from SMC in Oct 2019. It took a year to arrive. In that time I spent a lot of time and energy chasing them for updates and all I got was either silence or lots of excuses. Then we had covid and they used that excuse over and over again. However, when I read around the topic I find that SMC and their suppliers have a well reported poor record for service and warranty claims. If I’d known I wouldn’t have bothered.

The motor home was eventually handed over in October 2020 and immediately the van had a fault. Rather than fix it under warranty they sent me to a Fiat dealership. Turned out to be a recall that SMC should have discovered as part of their pre-purchase inspections. Not a good start!

After that, I have had fault after fault and multiple trips back to SMC, all at my cost. In the process, I have spent hours and hours chasing SMC for updates and trying to get them to raise warranty claims. I’ve had to cut holidays short and cancel holidays due to faults and quality issues.  

Most of their fixes broke. One issue was fixed with a second-hand part. Other issues were and still have been ignored. And to top it off the faults that were going to be fixed under warranty weren’t reported to their supplier and therefore delayed the process further. Each time they mention a warranty claim they set my expectations that it could be 3-6 months for the claim issue to be fixed however it's now been over 9 months and I’m still waiting.  

When I complained all I got from their sales manager is the curt response ‘give me the van back I can sell it all day!’

They gave me no option but to take legal action, which is no way to look after customers who have parted with a considerable sum for a new vehicle that just isn’t up to standard.

So there you go. That’s been my experience with SMC.

Their new vehicle warranty is worse than useless and customer service the same.

Im sure there are many people who have had positive experience with SMC and who have had faultless customer service and for those folk Im genuinely pleased.  Im just reporting my experience and would be happy to hear if anyone else has had similar.

ScreenName3880E22CF3 replied on 06/06/2022 19:05

Posted on 06/06/2022 19:05

Good evening

We too are experiencing problems with SMC. We purchased a 2015 Autotrail Trackers EKS in Dec 2021. We've been back 3 times since then with problems with the comfortmatic auto gear box.

It sticks in gear, failing to change up or down until the engine is switched off, warning light refers to handbook. It emits an audible alarm, which when it goes makes our hearts sink. It went back for a week of investigation, software update apparently. The problem wasn't solved, first run out last Thursday and the gear stuck in 4th and an additional "check engine" warning light come on. Tomorrow it goes back again for a 4th time. Again they want it for a couple of days. 

I suspect the vehicle had this fault when we purchased it, I have the details of the previous owner as SMC didn't fulfill their GDPR obligations when handing over previous owner paperwork and removing his name and address, I'm minded to contact them.

In the meantime the joy has been replaced with significant inconvenience and a deep mistrust of the vehicle.  Next week we are due to go away again, who knows if we will.

I have made contact with the CMC legal helpline and await their advice.

Shandyhaggis replied on 25/08/2022 12:16

Posted on 25/08/2022 12:16

An update

SMC settled during prelimonary hearing that was arranged at small claims court.  The preliminary hearing was set up to review the case in more detail and for the jogdge to outline what information he would need to hear the case, but I think the judge also used it as a way of mediating directly and make SMC see some sence.   The judge was clear that SMC were liable for something though he wouldn't go into detail of what and how much until the case was at actual hearing.  It was like pulling teeth but SMC agreed on an improved settlement which I agreed to (Id made my point and didn't see the need to take it further).

It wasn't about the money but more about having a level of service that we expect from suppliers.  Im hoping SMC might think twice next time.

Im still having issues with the van but have resigned to fixing them as they arise.

ps I hope you're all well and enjoying the travelling season :-) all the best

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 25/08/2022 15:14

Posted on 25/08/2022 15:14

Congratulations, your tenacity paid off. No one ever wins until people stand up & fight for their rights👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Tinwheeler replied on 25/08/2022 15:26

Posted on 25/08/2022 15:26

Well done. It proves the benefit of sticking to your guns and following the process of law. Not many companies will want to end up with a notice of judgement against them and it’s not unusual for a settlement to be made prior to the hearing. 

Thanks for the update. I hope you will now be able to enjoy your van.

TimboC replied on 26/08/2022 09:31

Posted on 26/08/2022 09:31

When I complained all I got from their sales manager is the curt response ‘give me the van back I can sell it all day!’

Theres the problem in one sentence. Dealers have had it too easy in recent years due to international travel restrictions, and we've seen caravan and motorhome 'retailers' pop up all over the place.

The only answer is to be extra vigilant when ordering, and taking the legal route when they don't behave.

Well done 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 26/08/2022 09:46

Posted on 26/08/2022 09:31 by TimboC

Theres the problem in one sentence. Dealers have had it too easy in recent years due to international travel restrictions, and we've seen caravan and motorhome 'retailers' pop up all over the place.

The only answer is to be extra vigilant when ordering, and taking the legal route when they don't behave.

Well done 

Posted on 26/08/2022 09:46

+1, I’ve been told that too. The tide is turning, just starting. There will be more & more LV’s being offered back to dealers & unfortunately repossessions as this explosion of energy & fuel costs plus inflation begins shortly🙁. The world is paying for its rampant consumerism.

vbfg replied on 26/08/2022 10:23

Posted on 26/08/2022 10:23

I suppose the moral to this story is always look up reviews for companies before you purchase anything from them, as I found not too long ago when I bought a gas boiler from from a company which I later found out had abysmal reviews and shortly after purchase of the boiler, went bust!

Personally, I think that I might have taken up his offer to accept  the van back and gone elsewhere,  depending of course, how much he was offering for it, as I would not expect to be very much out of pocket due to their failures and incompetence and would have hated the hassle and inconvenenience.

I do wonder if many other people have had problems with caravans, campers, motorhomes or cars which were ordered just before Covid.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook