Soft furnishing colours in vans

vbfg replied on 04/08/2023 10:58

Posted on 04/08/2023 10:58

Hi CT Readers

I am thinking of buying a newer, even a new motorhome and wonder why nearly all  manufacturers use such light colours for the soft furnishings?  It is so very impractical, even more so if you have a dog or dogs, as many people who own caravans and M/Hs do.  You only need to be caught in the rain to end up treading dirty footprints onto the carpet and/or dripping water onto the seating which on such light coloured, fabric, may easily leave a stain.

I have just spotted a new M/H, far more than I want to pay but I could persuade myself if I was very enamoured of it, however, the furnishings are a very light grey with a very thin line of a burgundyish, colour.  Personally, I would much prefer the burgundyish colour, for all of the furnishings, with a light grey trim and a burgundyish carpet, rather than the light grey and it would be way more practical.  If that had been the case, I would definitely have considered purchasing it as the  interior of the van itself is of a type I am looking for

Are light coloured furnishings really what customers want, or is it just me who is not that keen on them?

peedee replied on 05/08/2023 08:03

Posted on 05/08/2023 08:03

Ours is beige and browns but I opted for hard wearing leather upholstery for the very reasons you highlight. The seating has lost some of it resilience after 12 years of use but it is looking almost as good as new.

peedee

Lutz replied on 05/08/2023 09:32

Posted on 05/08/2023 09:32

When we bought our caravan we could have had it in various cloth colours and designs (3 if I remember rightly) and either a light or a darker wood for the furniture. We chose the lightest possible combination for the same reason that Tammygirl mentioned. Even at home everything is white or light beige wherever possible.

GEandGJE replied on 06/08/2023 16:50

Posted on 06/08/2023 16:50

We had two dogs when we brought our motorhome, down to one now, we had the carpets taken up and we use a foam yoga map as a runner and very soft to walk on. We used a second even thicker one at night for one of the dogs to sleep on. We also brought some cheap throws to cover the seats the dogs were allowed on. No carpets makes it very easy to sweep up any dog hair.

jennyc replied on 07/08/2023 07:39

Posted on 07/08/2023 07:39

Contemporary interior design fabrics and walls for homes tends to be light in colour, with plenty of creams and greys, with just accents being dark. I imagine that leisure vehicle manufacturers find that those theams sell best.

vbfg replied on 07/08/2023 09:50

Posted on 07/08/2023 09:50

Some interesting replies and photos.  My present van, a 19 year old, Eldiss Autoquest, is upholstered in a dark orange geometric type design, which is actually quite attractive and tends not to show any marks (although I do cover it with sheets) and was very popular with Eldiss some years ago and is still in very good condtion. It doesn't  make the van dark at all but my van does have a lot of windows, including a large rear window, which many vans no longer have and I use a "miracle mat" type runner over the carpet. 

I admire anyone who does makes the effort to refurb/customise their vans and from the photos, they looked very attractive.  Unfortunately, in latter years, my get up and go in the DIY department, has mainly got up and gone! 

I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet if I do buy a newer van and put up with a lighter colour, although these days I suspect that most seating and carpets will be treated with anti stain chemicals.

heddlo replied on 07/08/2023 10:46

Posted on 04/08/2023 16:29 by JillwithaJay

I'm one who prefers the neutral lighter colours which I can personalise with coloured accessories.  I'd hate a van with dark coloured furnishings.  We use lovely soft washable throws on sofas. 

Posted on 07/08/2023 10:46

Agree with you Jill.  When we were looking for a new caravan we always discounted anything dark as it looked so gloomy!  Much prefer the lighter shades and a throw or two if necessary. 

peedee replied on 08/08/2023 07:15

Posted on 08/08/2023 07:15

Throws always look untidy, you are forever straighten and smoothing them out. As far as I am concerned they are a pain in the butt.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook