The number of motorhomes/campervans.

bill replied on 23/04/2024 10:32

Posted on 23/04/2024 10:32

Just out of interest I understood from a CAMC meeting I attended Saturday that the membership of the club is now 65% motorhomes and campervans which surprised me a bit.

peedee replied on 24/04/2024 10:25

Posted on 24/04/2024 10:25

I also mix my touring up even though I have an 8m motorhome. Sometimes I tow a car and behave as a caravan owner would and at other times we tour without it choosing our sites in the UK with more care. Either way our preference is for low or non facility sites.

Perhaps in the future the Club will have to choose new sites more with the motorhome owning member in mind.

peedee

MoHoSinger replied on 24/04/2024 11:17

Posted on 24/04/2024 10:05 by Takethedogalong

Yes fully agree. We “tour” properly in our MH, even on very short tours, hopping from stop to stop. Club Sites don’t offer good value for money if all you do is arrive, go to sleep, get up early, fill, dump, possibly shower and then off again. In Summer you are restricted to arriving before 8pm as well. The no facility Club Sites are better value, hence why we made use of NYMoors site, but you can mix things up and tour nicely for a whole lot less if you do some research. 

There do seem to be a lot more smaller MH/camper vans now. Club Sites have a higher proportion of big MHs than other stopovers we have used. 

We found D&G brilliant for touring, all sorts of cheap stopovers. Forestry sites were very good, some with loos, showers when visitor centres open in the morning, cafes. Some allow caravan stopovers as well. We stayed in one free, one we paid £8. Safe, quiet, scenic, walking and cycling all around.

Posted on 24/04/2024 11:17

I so agree! I love D & G particularly Gatehouse of Fleet, Kirkcudbright and Portpatrick.  It is 3 hours away for me so completely doable for a bare weekend setting out Friday p.m.

I also echo your comment about the restriction of an 8:00 p.m arrival. I have a particularly acute example albeit out of the ordinary and the exception that proves the rule. Come 20th July I have a rehearsal in Manchester 15:00 to 18:00 before singing in the Proms at the Albert Hall on the Sunday. I have booked the Club site near Mertsham Saturday thru to Monday (when I head for Newhaven and Dieppe). So I have a bare  5 hours to cover the 225 miles  to make the site overspill or be locked out overnight and I will only get on the pitch I have paid for on the Sunday morning but I am grateful for the flexibility that just about makes my hectic schedule that weekend work!

Chris

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook