The obsession with motorhomes

peedee replied on 26/05/2022 13:41

Posted on 26/05/2022 13:41

Interesting article in the >Spectator< about the British obsession with motorhomes. Growth figures continue to increase along with prices. I have just been looking at a replacement and I am shocked at the cost.

peedee

replied on 01/06/2022 15:47

Posted on 01/06/2022 15:06 by Thomas340

I have orderd a new motor home for a fixed price. Should be here in September.  I have just found out that the price advertised when I order could go up in September this could be another 10% on the ariganal invoice.  Has anyone else experienced this. 

Posted on 01/06/2022 15:47

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Thomas340 replied on 01/06/2022 16:49

Posted on 01/06/2022 16:49

Who is your dealer Doset Driver sounds like a very good bloke to me. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 01/06/2022 17:31

Posted on 01/06/2022 15:47 by

I was talking with a local(ish) dealer in both new and secondhand MH's yesterday.  He is still awaiting the delivery of new vehicles ordered many months, if not well over a year ago.  These will be sold at the agreed fixed price. 

He also said that anyone that has waited more than about 15 months would be mad to cancel as to buy new at todays price would be more that 20% above the fixed price they have locked in, and more in September. 

He also said that he had just tried to order 60 MH's from Dethleffs for next year and was only allocated 14 because of the shortages of trucks and other equipment.   

He also offered me £20k more for my van than I was offered just pre-covid; not that I'm selling.  The market is just crazy at present.   

Posted on 01/06/2022 17:31

That sounds like used car salesman speak🤷🏻‍♂️. Waiting for a vehicle for 15 months?🤔, not for me that is madness🙁. Todays price is unsustainable, this situation isn’t new it’s part of cycles that have been with us for ever. Inflation up & down, troughs & peaks. The calm has begun unless some folk favour Moho’s above heating & eating.

ABM replied on 01/06/2022 17:54

Posted on 01/06/2022 17:54

D D  --  I think I might just take my Ducato for a leisurely drive next week -- just browsing of course not buying you understand Mr Salesman, Sir  wink  It's my pension you understand money-mouth .

Seriously I have to admit nobody has offered me 20K  in passing since early last year when i got a total of Five offers, none of which I accepted of course, but when I posted on here or told the younger family members, everybody seemed to think I should get a " Sit~in Armed Guard " for it  smile

P.S. / Edit  --  From your last line DD, any offer of £20K on top  would get very serious consideration before the medics come & take him /her away !!

replied on 01/06/2022 17:57

Posted on 01/06/2022 16:49 by Thomas340

Who is your dealer Doset Driver sounds like a very good bloke to me. 

Posted on 01/06/2022 17:57

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tammygirl replied on 01/06/2022 20:56

Posted on 01/06/2022 20:56

In our FB group there are many members waiting to take delivery of new MHs. Some have been waiting over a year now with the delivery date still being extended. It seems the companies who do conversions to panel vans are struggling to get the base vehicles from the likes of  Fiat and Peugeot etc.

Over here in France there are no shortages of MHs at the dealers, new or otherwise. Lots of them in the dealerships.

Campsites so far have not been full, some busier than others but none of them full. Mostly MHs very few caravans of any nation. 

I thought this year it would be very busy and did wonder about coming over but it's not as bad as pre Covid. 

SteveL replied on 01/06/2022 21:50

Posted on 01/06/2022 21:50

It does depend a bit on where the sites are and it would seem the French are more into long weekends than previously. Last Thursday was a BH and I can only assume that many decided on a 4 day weekend break. We had intended on stopping in a ACSI site in Saint Nazaire on Friday but it was full, as were all the Camping Car Park Aires close to the coast. Well two were showing 1 space which could have gone by the time we got there. Even 20 miles inland the Aire was three quarters full. All the full ones are now showing a reasonable amount of space.
Other Aires we have used on the way down have been OK. We were the only one on the current one when we arrived yesterday, but that was up to 8 by the evening, out of 15 spaces. Now only 4 tonight. Oradour sur Glane free Aire was full one of the nights we were there, but was only a third full on our first night. We will be avoiding anywhere popular this weekend, which is another long one.
So far all our stops have been on Aires. There certainly seems to be a lot of MH’s about, the majority French on the Aires we have used. Tomorrow we are intending to use a site, either municipal or ACSI

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook