Tyre safety - advice please

netcam replied on 08/04/2022 19:02

Posted on 08/04/2022 19:02

Our new Trigano Mini Freestyle 290 is arriving on Sunday. It does not have a TPMS fitted and we are considering Tyrepal. Our new car has a TPMS and we realise they are now compulsory for cars and we would like to get one for the caravan too. About 10 years ago I had an Eriba Troll and we had Tyron bands fitted and at the time people they seemed popular with caravanners. Looking on the forums this does not seem to be the case anymore, although TPMS now seem popular. Any advice around Tyron Bands/TPMS would be helpful, as well as any feedback from people who have used either, especially Tyrepal, or if there are other brands people recommend. Having had a car tyre blowout once on a dual carriageway, I would like to do what I can to ensure we are as safe as possible when towing.

EmilysDad replied on 10/04/2022 20:08

Posted on 10/04/2022 13:35 by Burgundy

I have TPMS on my VW Passat, When I first got it I had false warnings when towing the caravan. When I left home one day I felt the steering pulling to one side, I stopped and found I had a flat tyre, no warning from TPMS On replacing the tyre the tyre fitter told me some systems monitor ABS/Stability system rather than actual tyre pressure.

Taken from VW website

“Tyre Monitoring Indicator

Helps you keep a check on tyre pressure. It works via the ABS wheel-speed sensors. They sense when tyre pressure drops, because the wheel roll is reduced and it turns more quickly at the same car speed. The system checks your tyres constantly, keeping you safer.”

I’d had false warnings from the car system when I first got it. When I increased pressure for towing, after about 40 miles I got a warning and on checking tyre pressures they were OK. After what the tyre fitter told me I realised it was because I didn’t have matching tyres on the rear, and obviously had a different rolling radius which was detected by the ABS. I now use Tyrepal on car and caravan, including spares, saves crawling under caravan or emtying boot to check spares. Surprising how much caravan pressures increase when warm, from 65psi when cold to approx 76psi when warmed up.

Posted on 10/04/2022 20:08

... After what the tyre fitter told me I realised it was because I didn’t have matching tyres on the rear, and obviously had a different rolling radius which was detected by the ABS.

My Smart, along with many other cars have miss-matched tyres (& wheels) front & back, but they share a common rolling radius/diameter which keeps the ABS happy.

bel1 replied on 12/06/2022 22:12

Posted on 12/06/2022 22:12

I am a firm believer in Tyron bands as I have seen so many overturned caravans on my continental journeys where a blow-out has resulted in shedding of the tyre which creates terrible instability, resulting in the caravan overturning.

Small price to pay for additional safety. 

John Todd replied on 11/07/2022 08:10

Posted on 11/07/2022 08:10

I have used Tyron bands for many years and like insurance you only find out how good it is when you claim.

A few years ago on the M11 in heavy rain travelling out about 50 mph overtaking in Lane 2 I felt a vibration and in the rear view mirror I could see the caravan leaning to the left.

I was able to slow and move and stop on the hard shoulder with no issues, the bands will not prevent a puncture but stop the tyre leaving the rim so that you can maintain control.

The photos show the result of that puncture, I have no experience with the tyre pressure monitoring systems.

I would not hesitate in recommending Tyron bands, they saved me that day.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook