water pump

mrtattoo replied on 01/12/2023 16:56

Posted on 01/12/2023 16:56

HI

I am having my second timing belt replaced next year. The last one we had done the garage advised that it was not necessary to have the pump done as it is low millage. so i did not have it done. i been to another garage for next year and they are saying the same thing. They said it is easy to just replace the pump when needed. the van is a 14 plate 2.3 56.000 miles. I did go to another garage and they gave a price of £973.51 for the belt and pump. so just seeing what other people do. 

Thank you

eribaMotters replied on 01/12/2023 20:14

Posted on 01/12/2023 20:14

I think you need to add some more information, eg exactly what is your vehicle.

Maintenance schedules differ across makes and models. My previous VAG based diesel cars advised water pump replacement at the same time as the timing belt replacement due to location and the extent to which the engine had to be stripped down. On my current VAG petrol car this is not the case due to location and changes in materials technology.

Colin

Matt73 replied on 03/12/2023 10:10

Posted on 03/12/2023 10:10

Hi mrtattoo,

Of the total bill, how much is the pump ?. From memory I don’t think they’re massively expensive in terms of the part alone, and as they’re much easier to access whilst the belts are off I’d replace all at the same time (I did this with my 2018 multijet last year).

mrtattoo replied on 03/12/2023 10:38

Posted on 03/12/2023 10:38

The vehicle is the fait ducato just for the pump to be changed is £284.26. The maintenance schedule says you should get it done and the garage says they would do it. but the pump is if it is high millage and they say i would be wasting my money.

Matt73 replied on 03/12/2023 21:03

Posted on 03/12/2023 21:03

So the £284 is to replace the pump in isolation ?, and includes labour to strip  to gain access.

If the engine’s already stripped to fit the belts, then fitment of the pump whilst they’re at it would be cheaper in terms of labour hours and therefore a saving longer term.

Also, that pump will be ten years old next year….worth bearing in mind. If you leave it this time, how old will it be next time ?. 

Purely personal opinion, but I’d do both from a perspective of peace of mind and potential longer term savings.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook