What’s your opinion?

JohnM20 replied on 26/06/2023 10:32

Posted on 26/06/2023 10:32

In November last year we booked a CL with serviced pitches etc for a seven nights stay. The description of the site stated that it was surrounded by trees and we accepted this. When we arrived we were allocated a pitch which was under very tall trees even though there were two other vacant pitches in the open and enjoying sunshine. Our allocated pitch turned out to be a nightmare. It was very dark, comparatively  cold and when it rained we were subjected to hours of constant drips on the roof. The owner told me that the better pitches were kept for regular visitors and long term visitors. As the week went by we found that this wasn’t really the case. On the sunny pitch next to ours, in the space of the seven days there were four different outfits, only one of which was a returning visitor, for two nights only, and none of whom had booked very far in advance. It turned out that one of the outfits had told the owner that they wanted a sunny pitch because they had a solar panel on the roof. They were only staying three nights . To me this seemed very unfair when we were there for a week and had booked so far in advance. Unfortunately, Google Earth didn’t show the site layout very well when we looked before we booked. Are we being unreasonable expecting one of the better pitches?

Wherenext replied on 27/06/2023 13:14

Posted on 27/06/2023 13:14

Most CL owners have been accommodating when I've approached them if concerned about the pitch.

We recently stayed at 2 CLs where the pitch was allocated button the first I was able to move to another as it wasn't full, with owners consent, and the other I was able to pitch sideways slightly off the perimeter to avoid a slight overhanging branch. On a recent booking I asked for one of 2 pitches as they are allocated and owner reserved one of them. It often pays to talk.

Longtimecaravanner replied on 27/06/2023 17:30

Posted on 27/06/2023 17:30

I often wonder why when voicing a legitimate criticism of a Cl the member doesn't name it in the comment on here rather than just saying 'a CL'.

I always leave a review of the Cl I have just visited unless we have been there before but if I came on here to comment on it I would name it so others could be aware.

JohnM20 replied on 27/06/2023 17:55

Posted on 27/06/2023 17:30 by Longtimecaravanner

I often wonder why when voicing a legitimate criticism of a Cl the member doesn't name it in the comment on here rather than just saying 'a CL'.

I always leave a review of the Cl I have just visited unless we have been there before but if I came on here to comment on it I would name it so others could be aware.

Posted on 27/06/2023 17:55

My opening post on this thread was to ask for the opinion of others about the situation, not comments about the specific CL. I’m sure the situation could be found  at other CLs, not just the one we were at. But for those that must know the name of the CL it is Fowey CL.

I must state that other aspects of the CL and the owners were very good. This thread relates only to the pitch that we were allocated.

Longtimecaravanner replied on 28/06/2023 15:22

Posted on 27/06/2023 17:55 by JohnM20

My opening post on this thread was to ask for the opinion of others about the situation, not comments about the specific CL. I’m sure the situation could be found  at other CLs, not just the one we were at. But for those that must know the name of the CL it is Fowey CL.

I must state that other aspects of the CL and the owners were very good. This thread relates only to the pitch that we were allocated.

Posted on 28/06/2023 15:22

Thank you for naming it. I wasn't actually specifically meaning you in my comment but all members who don't name the CL both good and bad that they are talking about.

I have to say that not being able to change my pitch if others were free would be the difference in whether I wanted to book there or not. There are too many really good ones out there for us not to be picky about where we want to stay.

We only use CLs, about ten a year, and in forty odd years have only been on about four or five that I would not go back to.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook