Wheelchair users?

disneyfam replied on 26/09/2023 11:01

Posted on 26/09/2023 11:01

Good morning all, I’m recently profoundly disabled powerchair user following cancer. We used to caravan but sold everything expecting not to be able to go again. Life has relented a little and with the kids still young enough we want to get back out there and try and make some more memories.

We will be using a non-adapted caravan (towed with our WAV van) with some lifts, foldable chairs inside etc but I have a million questions, as truthfully I’m quite scared of making this yet another stress for my wife and kids… and after all we’ve been through it needs to be quite the opposite. 

We will need an awning up as a garage and charging location for my chair - huge 120kg+ invacare with front swivel casters etc. it’s also going to be needed as privacy for me ‘trying’ to transfer into the van (it’s not going to be pretty 🤦‍♂️😂 but I’m determined to make it happen). 

My big fear is gravel and soft ground. If that chair gets stuck it’s awful to shift. 

Have any of you kind people got any ideas for an awning flooring that won’t ruck up and still take the chair and also is portable as we will only be going away for few days at time. We won’t have huge amounts of room taking all the other gear etc. 

Also although having caravanned for years before it feels all new and a little worrying. So any tips and tricks, must have bits and pieces, devices or recommended sites to make it easier, would be great. 

I so desperately want this to work but being so new to this aspect I’m afraid it will be spoiled by me not having thought of something obvious or critical. But I really am determined to make it work. 

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer. 

Wherenext replied on 27/09/2023 16:02

Posted on 27/09/2023 16:02

Hi.

First of all you have my admiration for attempting to get back to something that you obviously enjoyed. Best wishes for your recovery. Having returned to caravanning after having suffered a debilitating stroke a year ago I know how restorative, and frustrating, getting out and about can be.

With regard to your specific questions I'm not going to be much help but I did know someone who used vinyl click pads to make a sound surface for wheelchair use. Try the following:-

https://www.multimatts.co.uk/event-flooring/disabled-access-flooring

I would suggest using an air awning as I'm not sure if your children can help your wife put a conventional one up.

I'm hoping that replying to you will spark some interest in some members who have practical experience and can be of more assistance to you.

My sincere good wishes that things work out for you all. I love a trier.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/09/2023 16:15

Posted on 27/09/2023 16:15

Hi, Disneyfam and welcome back to CT. I echo WN's thoughts of admiration but I can’t really add anything of help.

I suggest checking out the posts, site reviews etc by Finnberrys who, although a motorhomer, is a chair user and often camps solo with her assistance dog. It may give you some food for thought.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/my-profile/Finnberrys/

I wish you all the best in your caravan adventure 👍🏻

Dyddy replied on 27/09/2023 18:06

Posted on 27/09/2023 18:06

I can't offer any personal experience on flooring solutions, but totally understand your concerns about getting bogged down or sinking. With this situation in our minds to we tend to book late so as to avoid, as best we can, the worst of weather. If in doubt we try to book a hardstanding pitch on a park known to have paved / firm internal roadways so as to afford access to facilities. Most chairs usually cope OK on these surfaces.

A number of times we've considered awnings, but to be frank it would be just too much to put up / take down. We have the roll out which keeps the sun off & worst of the rain at times, the scooter / chair sleeps under a purpose made cover chained to the van.

This probably isn't of much help so far! But we have considered the " privacy room " addition to the roll out, which still looks a bit of a faff to put up, but appears a bit lighter weight & hopefully only needs one to put it up.

Many parks have very good disabled facilities, perhaps a call ahead to check they meet your needs. Most parks are very accommodating and have pitches with disabled folk in mind.

I admire you're spirit, been there. Where there's a will.... there's a way. Good on you.

Bakers2 replied on 27/09/2023 19:35

Posted on 27/09/2023 19:35

Good to read your post, and I wish you all the best.

Again, I can't offer personal advice, but maybe some food for thought?

The suggestion of a sun canopy, wind out awning sounds good but obviously doesn't offer you privacy. Would a windbreak help with that aspect?

I have no idea where you're based, but maybe speak to a local site to see if they have a large hardstanding area which would accommodate your needs?

I think it's good to talk and starting this thread might well bring forth ideas that could help.

I agree about the Finberry's she has written up stories of her travels and there may be pointers there.

I wish you and all your family the very best. Life's a challenge and should be lived to the best of our abilities. I hope you'll get to make lasting memories together. 

peedee replied on 28/09/2023 06:27

Posted on 28/09/2023 06:27

I admire your spirit DF. That is a very heavy chair you have and I am not so sure any kind of matting would be the perfect solution to moving over gravel. We find that using grass pitches is better when the ground is firm in fine weather or if on gravel a push from a helper will get you moving. Just stay clear of sand and mud.

Have you considered the use of an adapted outfit? Have a look at Coachbuilt GB.

peedee

Kasspa replied on 28/09/2023 10:49

Posted on 28/09/2023 10:49

DF

Admiration & inspirational in equal measure from me..... 120Kg is a massive quota from your payload especially when travelling with a family...

Have you considered stays at sites with Experience Freedom units, even as a trial as this may alleviate the stress for your wife & family + the initial cost of an outlay on an outfit should it not prove feasible..... at least you would be amongst like minded people (campers).

Wishing you a positive outcome in both health & adventure.

Kasspa

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook