Audi Q5 Petrol consumption when towing

EmilysDad replied on 10/09/2022 16:29

Posted on 10/09/2022 16:29

Probably about half of what it does solo 😉 & obviously heavily influenced by your right foot.

My ML350 does anything between low 20s  & high 30s solo depending on how hard its driven but towing my 1800+ caravan I managed 25 at around 55 to 60mph on  250 mile journey last Wednesday. I dare say though that if my right foot had been heavier that 25mpg would've been more like 19 or 20.

allanandjean replied on 13/09/2022 07:21

Posted on 13/09/2022 07:21

Hi, As ED says very dependant on how you drive with steady being best for MPG. We have a Q5 diesel and changed to diesel following a trip to Italy with a twin turbo Allroad at average 17MPG towing!

This however was app two thirds of its solo MPG and that’s what I use as my expected consumption when calculating what to expect.

Lutz replied on 13/09/2022 12:52

Posted on 13/09/2022 12:52

As a rule of thumb I have found that regardless of whether I have had a diesel or a petrol towcar, it has almost always used about 50% more fuel, all other conditions remaining more or less equal. The only exception was a hybrid car where the difference was even greater because the ICE was called upon to provide power in addition to the electric motors much more often.

Obviously engines which are relatively low on power will be using proportionately even more fuel but in the case in question, a 42 TFSI towing a moderate 1600kg, that should not apply.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook