Delay in First Posts

Wherenext replied on 23/04/2021 18:51

Posted on 23/04/2021 18:51

Over the last few weeks I've noticed a not inconsiderable delay in a post apeearing when it is the OP's first post on the CT forum.

Won't this delay, sometimes over a week, dissuade the return of the poster who may well have given up?

In addition many first time posts are incorrectly put in the Story section and moved. Once again many of these posters have not shown up as returning. They may have and not posted anything else but I have the feeling most give up, which seems a shame as almost all CT members seem willing to offer new members advice.

Any chance of speeding things up or better informing those posters of the delay/movement of their post?

Bakers2 replied on 23/04/2021 19:36

Posted on 23/04/2021 19:36

It does seem a great shame as there's so much knowledge folk are willing to share.

I expect it's the COVID effect 🤐🤐. 

If posts regularly appear incorrectly in the story section, and they do 🤔 it would suggest that the site isn't intuitive and needs to be made more user friendly 🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

DavidKlyne replied on 23/04/2021 20:27

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:27

If people bother to read the instructions the distinction on where to post  is perfectly clear but I suspect people post in the first place they see. Some years ago I think they changed the order so that people didn't see the Story Section as the first place they saw. The fact that they post in the Story Section might suggest they are not looking for a reply, despite their "story" being a question? Unfortunately members can post both reviews and stories without any form of prior moderation unlike posting in the Forum Section. On that subject if I see that a new post has not been authorised (moderators can't do this, only admin) I usually flag it up to Rowena but, of course, how quickly she can react to it depends on her current workload. Ideally all first posts, be they reviews, stories of discussion would be approved before appearing but that is not the way the forum is set up. Likewise I would like to see posters of new stories and  discussions automatically be informed when they get replies but that is probably a big ask?

David

nelliethehooker replied on 23/04/2021 20:36

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:36

Likewise I would like to see posters of new stories and discussions automatically be informed when they get replies

David, it would also help if, when posts are moved from one section to another there should be a notification that that has happened so that the OP knows where their post has gone.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/04/2021 20:36

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:36

Oh, for a PM facility! How easy it would be for a mod to PM someone to say their post had been moved to the forum and here's a link.

One day.......

EmilysDad replied on 23/04/2021 20:44

Posted on 23/04/2021 19:36 by Bakers2

It does seem a great shame as there's so much knowledge folk are willing to share.

I expect it's the COVID effect 🤐🤐. 

If posts regularly appear incorrectly in the story section, and they do 🤔 it would suggest that the site isn't intuitive and needs to be made more user friendly 🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:44

.... it would suggest that the site isn't intuitive and needs to be made more user friendly

which is what we all knew anyway .... 🤣

EmilysDad replied on 23/04/2021 20:47

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:27 by DavidKlyne

If people bother to read the instructions the distinction on where to post  is perfectly clear but I suspect people post in the first place they see. Some years ago I think they changed the order so that people didn't see the Story Section as the first place they saw. The fact that they post in the Story Section might suggest they are not looking for a reply, despite their "story" being a question? Unfortunately members can post both reviews and stories without any form of prior moderation unlike posting in the Forum Section. On that subject if I see that a new post has not been authorised (moderators can't do this, only admin) I usually flag it up to Rowena but, of course, how quickly she can react to it depends on her current workload. Ideally all first posts, be they reviews, stories of discussion would be approved before appearing but that is not the way the forum is set up. Likewise I would like to see posters of new stories and  discussions automatically be informed when they get replies but that is probably a big ask?

David

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:47

... If people bother to read the instructions the ...

you're trying to defend the indefensible .... the club site needs starting again by someone that knows what they're doing

DavidKlyne replied on 23/04/2021 22:03

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:36 by nelliethehooker

Likewise I would like to see posters of new stories and discussions automatically be informed when they get replies

David, it would also help if, when posts are moved from one section to another there should be a notification that that has happened so that the OP knows where their post has gone.

Posted on 23/04/2021 22:03

Sorry Nellie I don't think I agree with that because you end up having messages left all over the place which interferes with the flow of the various sections. In an ideal world notifications should be automatic as they are on UK Campsites. Obviously if we had a PM system as TW suggests it would be easy to keep people informed. Until we have have proper forum based software (will it ever happen?) we will have to muddle along as best we can. Another AGM question coming up!!!

David

EmilysDad replied on 23/04/2021 22:14

Posted on 23/04/2021 22:03 by DavidKlyne

Sorry Nellie I don't think I agree with that because you end up having messages left all over the place which interferes with the flow of the various sections. In an ideal world notifications should be automatic as they are on UK Campsites. Obviously if we had a PM system as TW suggests it would be easy to keep people informed. Until we have have proper forum based software (will it ever happen?) we will have to muddle along as best we can. Another AGM question coming up!!!

David

Posted on 23/04/2021 22:14

....  Until we have have proper forum based software (will it ever happen?) we will have to muddle along as best we can.

You don't want to come across as a glass half empty David ..... 🙄

nelliethehooker replied on 24/04/2021 20:49

Posted on 23/04/2021 22:03 by DavidKlyne

David

Posted on 24/04/2021 20:49

But how often does a post get moved to it's appropriate section? Not at often I hazard to guess, so there wouldn't be that many messages left, but it would help the OP/questioned, particularly if they are new to CT and it's foibles.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook