Possible Targetted Advertising?

Takethedogalong replied on 27/04/2024 13:17

Posted on 27/04/2024 13:17

Has anyone else noticed the proliferation of non touring advertising that is popping up on the right hand of the forum page screen? Seems to have happened in last few days. I am seeing all sorts, from dodgy Chinese owned budget websites, to rather distressing animal welfare charity photos.🤔

As far as I am aware, I haven’t altered any of my preference settings for this website, so not sure what is happening.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/04/2024 20:37

Posted on 27/04/2024 17:09 by LLM

I doubt that it's anything to do with the CAMC system; much more likely to be a recent change in Google.  Check your google privacy settings and/or use an ad blocker.  

Posted on 27/04/2024 20:37

Not sure I agree with that. Ads should only appear on websites that are set up to receive them as they create an income stream. I belong to one forum where if you are a paid up member you don't see adverts but you do if you use the free option so clearly a website can decide if it allow adverts. Members shouldn't have to use  Ad Blocker or any other software as the ads shouldn't be there in the first place.

Wherenext replied on 27/04/2024 21:15

Posted on 27/04/2024 21:15

I decided to try that Adblocker recommended by LLM and signed out and in again and lo and behold no Ads but still club promos. 

I do tend to agree with David though that there shouldn't be general ads on here except under the Classified section where T&Cs apply.

LLM replied on 27/04/2024 21:53

Posted on 27/04/2024 20:37 by DavidKlyne

Not sure I agree with that. Ads should only appear on websites that are set up to receive them as they create an income stream. I belong to one forum where if you are a paid up member you don't see adverts but you do if you use the free option so clearly a website can decide if it allow adverts. Members shouldn't have to use  Ad Blocker or any other software as the ads shouldn't be there in the first place.

Posted on 27/04/2024 21:53

You are right.  Each website can control which ads it allows and does not but popup ads which can still arrive through your service via Google and the like, and "overlay".  Is that not why they are called "popups"?  If you use an ad blocker you will in most cases see the website allowed ads but not the overlaying popups.  Give it a try.  It should be as Wherenext says:

I decided to try that Adblocker recommended by LLM and signed out and in again and lo and behold no Ads but still club promos.

DavidKlyne replied on 02/05/2024 20:51

Posted on 02/05/2024 18:00 by JaRT

For some reason I'm seeing ads for refrigrated trucks.....

Posted on 02/05/2024 20:51

Not an everyday purchasewink It seems the two places where for a long time there were Volvo adverts, not sure if it was a Club offer, have now been taken over by random Google Ads. I have reported this but as yet nothing has changed.

David

Wherenext replied on 02/05/2024 21:23

Posted on 02/05/2024 21:23

I am using an android based pad instead of my MacBook at the moment. I haven't downloaded the adblocker yet. However the system itself may be blocking it as whilst there are 2 spaces for adverts to appear above the club promos there are no actual adverts! It's a Samsung pad.

I had forgotten to download the blocker on this machine.

LLM replied on 02/05/2024 22:23

Posted on 02/05/2024 22:23

No ads on my screen except those from CAMC.  AdBlock is just doing its job.  David, if you don't want to use an ad blocker check your system privacy setting.  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook