Posting on Club Together

KieranBSMM replied on 03/07/2023 11:13

Posted on 03/07/2023 11:13

Hi All,

I hope you have had great weekends out and about exploring!

Unfortunately over the last week, we have noticed some disappointing behaviour across the platform in the way people are conducting themselves both towards each other and the Club.

I would like to reaffirm that Club Together is to bring people together to ask questions and share experiences, advice, hints and tips in a positive light. A lot of conversation as of late has failed to be along these lines and has led to a significant number of posts being removed and disruption in several discussions.

As community managers and moderators, the team try to allow as much free conversation as possible. Those posts which are removed, should not be questioned as the moderator's decisions are final.

Unfortunately, if the continuation of this disruption, unfriendly nature of some posts towards others or the Club continues, we will not hesitate to suspend users' access to the forum until further notice.

Please may I remind everyone to refresh themselves with our community guidelines https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/community-guidelines/ and continue posting in a manner which is supportive to others in the touring community.

Thanks again for all your contributions to the forum.

richardandros replied on 04/07/2023 09:29

Posted on 04/07/2023 09:29

"Unfortunately, if the continuation of this disruption, unfriendly nature of some posts towards others or the Club continues, we will not hesitate to suspend users' access to the forum until further notice."

I would be very interested to know what has prompted such a response. Being a regular reader / contributor on CT, I haven't noticed anything particularly untoward of late - and it must have been pretty awful to justify such a clear threat. 

Wherenext replied on 04/07/2023 10:19

Posted on 04/07/2023 10:19

If anything Richard I've noticed an improvement of late. Sure, posts have been Deleted User but does the club want to ban disagreements?

Seems a very heavy handed opening post.

EmilysDad replied on 04/07/2023 10:28

Posted on 04/07/2023 10:19 by Wherenext

If anything Richard I've noticed an improvement of late. Sure, posts have been deleted but does the club want to ban disagreements?

Seems a very heavy handed opening post.

Posted on 04/07/2023 10:28

... but does the club want to ban disagreements? 

It does appear so ...

KieranBSMM replied on 04/07/2023 10:57

Posted on 03/07/2023 18:32 by Wherenext

A couple of questions if I may.

1. Rowenna announced that new guidelines would be introduced "soon" but that was some 6 weeks ago. Are we any nearer to seeing them or have they been issued and I've missed the announcement.

2. Part of your post now quoted unfriendly nature of some posts towards others or the Club continues, Can you define unfriendly nature as it pertains towards the club. I fully understand the "towards others" aspect but are you inferring that no criticism of the club will be tolerated? Where does the line stand for crossing it? What exactly constitutes "unfriendly nature"?

A bit of clarity might help focus members attention.

Posted on 04/07/2023 10:57

Hi wherenext, thanks for the questions, completely understand what you mean, let me try and clarify some of your points.

1. These are going through various layers of sign-off and once ready, will be introduced to the forum and communicated. You will be familiar with much of the information and guidelines they involve, from the current community guidelines, but additions and clarity are being provided where necessary to further help users' understanding. 

2.Criticism and constructive feedback towards the Club is tolerated, but there is a line between criticisms and complaints. As mentioned in the Community Guidelines "Do not misuse the channels for complaint - if you have a complaint please contact the relevant department directly."

Unfriendly nature towards the Club in this regard pertains to Club staff, we have seen various comments made around site staff, head office staff and moderation as well as questioning moderation as of late in a tone that we don't feel appropriate for a forum that looks to be positive, respectful and polite. 

We ask that the same approach is taken when debating with others on the forum, we by no means are looking to censor disagreement or debate,  but we have had a significant increase in the level of reported posts over the past few weeks from users making complaints about the manner in which other's have said things to them on the forum. 

KieranBSMM replied on 04/07/2023 11:23

Posted on 03/07/2023 21:14 by Geejay

Hi KieranBSMM. I am 76 years old and don’t like being talked down to, patronised and generally being treated like a juvenile delinquent. There are better ways of making a point other than adopting a condescending tone and heavy-handed censorship. 

Over the years I have come here from time to time, relatively infrequently, with long breaks after getting fed up with the frequency of “content removed” posts as if we are not capable of making our own judgement and ignoring anything which seems “unfriendly”. 

I also occasionally visit a couple of motorhome forums where people manage to get along with the odd “robust” exchange, without the censor’s red pen intervention.  Your attitude just seems to confirm a suspicion voiced by not a few that both Clubs are not being run for the benefit of members in so many ways. 

I had just finished making a helpful, friendly post which I hope the OP will find useful, but I really will not be coming back to CT again as I believe freedom of speech is too important to be left in the hands of unaccountable “moderation”. 

Posted on 04/07/2023 11:23

Hi Geejay, thanks for your response on this and I am sorry that you feel this way, this was posted as a reminder for members of the forum to refresh themselves on the community guidelines.

Unfortunately, over the past few weeks we have seen a significant uplift in complaints being made about user posts across the platform. The moderation team are by no means trying to censor posts on the forum.

As you have highlighted and I imagine many others would agree, including myself and the moderation team, we would prefer not to have so many posts that say 'content removed' but as posts are reported and are deemed to be contravening the guidelines in different ways, the team action removal of posts.

At times, the team may need to moderate the community and we ask that you respect the decisions made, as these are not open for debate in the community and any comments of this nature will be removed.

We will always ask that users follow the community guidelines and in doing so, we can ensure that no content from them will be removed and allow free discussion and debates.

Tammygirl replied on 04/07/2023 11:37

Posted on 04/07/2023 11:37

Just stumbled on this thread and thought wow, do I really want to be a member of such a naughty bunch of people. 

Do we really need to be spoken to like naughty children. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. 

Metheven replied on 04/07/2023 11:47

Posted on 04/07/2023 11:37 by Tammygirl

Just stumbled on this thread and thought wow, do I really want to be a member of such a naughty bunch of people. 

Do we really need to be spoken to like naughty children. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. 

Posted on 04/07/2023 11:47

+1

By the way Kieran, have you listened in on the House of Commons lately? CAMC discussions forum is childs play compared. Stifling debate is non democratic even if heated at times, Moderation is part and parcel of any forum if it goes over the line.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 04/07/2023 12:00

Posted on 04/07/2023 12:00

We hope this information was of help to ensure Club Together is a friendly and welcoming online community. I will now close this discussion. If you do have any questions please email us community.manager@camc.com

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook