Time Warp

mickysf replied on 04/12/2023 09:53

Posted on 04/12/2023 09:53

What is it with CT these days? Too many old threads seem to be resurrecting themselves with seemingly little if any member intervention or current relevance. The numbers of regular contributors and newbies also seem to be diminishing. Is CT now reaching an inevitable conclusion? Is it now in need of an overhaul or is a new and novel format required?

I do recognise that there is a whole wealth of knowledge in the CT archives but also a some contributions some may need to be consigned to a CT Room 101.

Amongst other improvements an easily accessible archive would be helpful. Any thoughts?

I do recognise however that we may all have different ‘wishes’ but there is a good deal of commonality amongst us.

Wherenext replied on 06/12/2023 19:49

Posted on 06/12/2023 19:49

No point looking at Trust Pilot as the specific site being reviewed isn't mentioned. Totally worthless.

I do like checking on Latest Activity, not necessarily for comments but for reviews especially of CLs. Many a time my interest has been piqued by a review and I've checked it out and sometimes ended up staying at that CL because of what I've read.. Sometimes I've avoided one for the same reasons.

I do think we're also seeing a decline in posters due to them retiring from touring and some through passing away. They're not being replaced in any number so CT is contracting.

TimboC replied on 06/12/2023 19:52

Posted on 06/12/2023 19:52

The biggest problem with CT is the number of 'content removed' posts.

I agree that some posts may be considered offensive or inappropriate, but many others that I've read prior to removal are, in my view, just opinions. Once you start to stifle opinion and debate then people will lose interest.

To make things worse, the post just hangs there with 'Content Removed' on it, making the poster feeling like they're on the naughty step, with everyone else wondering what was said. It would much better if the post was removed in its entirety.

Then theres the fact that CT is just old, clunky and years out of date. Its no wonder that younger members, used to the like of Facebook and Tik Tok, can't be bothered

peedee replied on 13/12/2023 10:31

Posted on 13/12/2023 10:31

I agree that some posts may be considered offensive or inappropriate, but many others that I've read prior to removal are, in my view, just opinions. Once you start to stifle opinion and debate then people will lose interest.

Oh, how so true.

peedee

Surfer replied on 13/12/2023 15:53

Posted on 13/12/2023 15:53

What is annoying is if you ask a question and if there is a thread that is years old and probably outdated, your question is moved there and then becomes lost as no one wants to scroll through pages and pages of posts to find the answer to their question.  I can understand your question being moved if the thread is perhaps 3 months old as it will be reasonably fresh.

Tinwheeler replied on 13/12/2023 16:08

Posted on 13/12/2023 16:08

I don’t understand your comments, Surfer. Threads can be moved to different sections but posts cannot be moved from one thread to another.

The anomalies here are a useless search facility which prevents people finding old info and, perversely, ancient threads coming to the fore in a haphazard fashion for no appreciable reason. 

DavidKlyne replied on 13/12/2023 20:51

Posted on 13/12/2023 20:51

A couple of points if I may.

Surfer, if for some magical reason you start a new thread with the same title as one that already exists your posting seems to automatically be placed in the old thread. Can't explain why but that seems to be what happens. 

On the point about "Content Removed" messages. In an ideal world if a post was deleted it should completely disappear from view so that all but the original poster would be none the wiser? The reason you get a series of posts with Content Removed applied to them is that the original post is probably off topic or against T&C's so therefore once the original is removed the following posts in response don't make sense so also have to be removed to try and keep the thread on topic.  

Hope that helps

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook