Auto stop/start when towing with an automatic

IanHCharles replied on 27/09/2019 22:24

Posted on 27/09/2019 22:24

I have a diesel BMW 2L 3 series automatic that has automatic stop/start.  It's the first car with this function that I have driven when towing.  Should it be switched off when towing

Simon100 replied on 29/09/2019 19:32

Posted on 28/09/2019 22:42 by EmilysDad

Does it use the same algorithm to start the engine sooner cos there's a big wagon coming and you need to move NOW and not in a second after it's started the engine? 🤔

Posted on 29/09/2019 19:32

No.

The ability to get out of the way of a big wagon is called driver anticipation and ensuring that the driver is aware of what is going on around him/her at all times!

Some information about the Mazda i-stop system (I used to have a CX5):

i-stop and Clean Diesel Engines

Unlike gasoline engines, which use a spark plug to ignite the air-fuel mixture, diesel engines compress the mixture until it spontaneously combusts. Therefore, to restart a diesel engine, sufficient compression is required.

While conventional diesel engine idling stop systems require two engine cycles to restart, Mazda's unique i-stop needs just one cycle, thanks to its precise control of the piston positions. As a result, i-stop achieves the world's fastest diesel engine restart time of approximately 0.40 seconds (internal measurement on vehicles with automatic transmission) and its operation is barely noticeable.

i-stop offers a quick engine restart and a natural operation with little vibration and noise.

JVB66 replied on 29/09/2019 19:48

Posted on 29/09/2019 19:32 by Simon100

No.

The ability to get out of the way of a big wagon is called driver anticipation and ensuring that the driver is aware of what is going on around him/her at all times!

Unlike gasoline engines, which use a spark plug to ignite the air-fuel mixture, diesel engines compress the mixture until it spontaneously combusts. Therefore, to restart a diesel engine, sufficient compression is required.

While conventional diesel engine idling stop systems require two engine cycles to restart, Mazda's unique i-stop needs just one cycle, thanks to its precise control of the piston positions. As a result, i-stop achieves the world's fastest diesel engine restart time of approximately 0.40 seconds (internal measurement on vehicles with automatic transmission) and its operation is barely noticeable.

i-stop offers a quick engine restart and a natural operation with little vibration and noise.

Posted on 29/09/2019 19:48

Is it different with UK spec Petrol  enginessurprised

EmilysDad replied on 29/09/2019 20:00

Posted on 29/09/2019 19:32 by Simon100

No.

Posted on 29/09/2019 20:00

My tongue was in my cheek when I asked ...... tongue-out

And I wasn't me that suggested I needed to get out of the way of the HGV .... There are time I want to go NOW, not in nearly half a second because I HAVE been aware of the world around me.

Chris200907 replied on 13/10/2019 17:09

Posted on 13/10/2019 17:09

It seems to me that most of you seem to be missing the point about stop/start systems. It’s not to save you fuel it is to reduce emissions in queuing traffic. Shouldn’t we all be trying to do our bit in such circumstances and with all the information we receive these days about global warming but particularly health problems for those living near to congested roads?

I refer back to the original question for this post and that would be to follow the advice, if it’s included, in the vehicle handbook/manual.

DS3 replied on 21/10/2019 02:32

Posted on 21/10/2019 02:32

Stop start saves a massive amount of fuel if you are driving in town. Not using it is, for want of a better word, stupid.

As for towing with it, my Volvo V70 turns the function off as soon as a trailer is attached.

replied on 30/12/2019 10:37

Posted on 21/10/2019 02:32 by DS3

Stop start saves a massive amount of fuel if you are driving in town. Not using it is, for want of a better word, stupid.

As for towing with it, my Volvo V70 turns the function off as soon as a trailer is attached.

Posted on 30/12/2019 10:37

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Metheven replied on 02/01/2020 11:23

Posted on 02/01/2020 11:23

Regarding the OPs question, some BMWs suffer from cooling problems when towing, maybe it would pay to disable it when hitched.

My car (not a BMW) automatically disables stop/start when a trailer hitch is sensed, and as I dislike it in normal driving and it defaults to 'on' I always disable it when I remember.

Not sure it is good for the caravans fridge and leisure battery to have it intermittently cycling on/off, so happy the car has decided to disable it.

EmilysDad replied on 02/01/2020 18:43

Posted on 21/10/2019 02:32 by DS3

Posted on 02/01/2020 18:43

Fuel economy goes out of the window when you attach a big white wobbly box to the back of your car .... and in my case if I'd wanted fuel economy I wouldn't have bought a 3.0 permanent 4x4 with the aerodynamics of a house brick.

I don't think I've tried towing with stop/start enabled 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook