Complete novices!

Three bears replied on 20/02/2022 17:30

Posted on 20/02/2022 17:30

Hi folks

Six months ago we had never thought of owning a mobile holiday home!  In October we were talking about buying a caravan.  A month ago we bought a camper van! Sussex Duo  So we are starting from scratch.  I have a feeling I will be asking lots of questions and seeking advice.  

For starters…how useful is a toaster? (we have a good sized cooker).  What’s the best way to store food such as tins or bottles (inc wine) to stop them crashing around too much?  What’s the best electric kettle to get?

Looking forward to chatting with you 😁

Cornersteady replied on 20/02/2022 17:45

Posted on 20/02/2022 17:45

Hello

I assume you mean electric?

Toaster- very useful in our experience, much simpler to just plug in and the toast pops up when ready and easier to keep clean, but see below about kettles 

Storage - just get some plastic crates, they ones that fold up and/or have carry handles are best to carry the stuff from your house and fold flat when not needed. Up to you but we now just buy stuff, usually fresh, when on site and/or on a shorter time basis.

The cheapest electric kettle you can get will be be fine, ours was a basic from Adsa. As with the toaster get the lowest wattage you can find so that you won't go over the Amp limit on a  site. On a club site this will be 16A and so it means it will take longer but you may be able run your electric heating and kettle at the same time. Again I've found automatic electric kettles easier to use than hob ones. 

Keep asking away, we all started just like you.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/02/2022 17:47

Posted on 20/02/2022 17:47

Hello and welcome.

A low wattage toaster is useful but I found in our Warwick Duo (same as the Sussex) that the space it occupied was more use for other things. Any make of kettle will do but make sure it’s low wattage. 1000w max is my recommendation. They tend to be cheaper from sources other than caravan/MH dealers.

It’s best to carry heavy objects like tins and well padded bottles in a low cupboard.

Finally, if you’ve not already discovered it, I can recommend the AutoSleeper Owners Forum where you will find some very knowledgeable people.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com

Navigateur replied on 20/02/2022 17:59

Posted on 20/02/2022 17:59

Supermarkets used to provide collapsable cardboard carriers for wine bottles which can be used in a crate to avoid having to fill it full to stop rattle. Also takes beer bottles and tins.

brue replied on 20/02/2022 18:09

Posted on 20/02/2022 18:09

If you've got an electric hot plate on your stove a camping kettle which sits flat might be useful as well as a small electric kettle. The camping kettle can also be used on gas if the power goes off or you decide to go out for the day in the van. 

eribaMotters replied on 20/02/2022 20:06

Posted on 20/02/2022 20:06

We are still using a Russel Hobbs that is about 20 years old. I think the equivalent is:-

"Russell Hobbs 23840" At 1000w and 1L it does all we need. 

We also have a cheap 2 slice toaster, costing a fraction of our Dualit at home.

For packing we just use lots of tea towels.

In a foot locker we have a plastic stacker box for tins and anything in glass that could break, eg wine. If you jam your packets of pasta and rice etc around them all should be fine.

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook