Damp matress

ClubMember7C5EFF9780 replied on 22/10/2023 22:03

Posted on 22/10/2023 22:03

Discovered our traverse memory foam mattress and topper were very damp after storing our caravan for 4 weeks after using for 2 weeks. Managed to dry topper, bedding wasn't damp, but managed to get the mattress drier. We turned it to let it air out, but when sleeping on it, the top next to wall was damp every morning when away Sept weekend to Balbirnie Camp site. We have never had damp on the seating when in use as a bed in our other 3 vans.

Any suggestions or help.

Liz

eribaMotters replied on 22/10/2023 22:23

Posted on 22/10/2023 22:23

Sounds like the mattress is sweating. You have a warm humid interior and colder side walls to the caravan, so condensation is forming. The mattress needed chance to air before the van was closed up.

When you store over winter take all bedding materials, towels etc out and into the house. Hinge all bed bases, mattresses and seats up, making sure they do not touch the van sides. Open all cupboard doors to allow air circulation.

Do not bother with a dehumidifier or small heater on a timer, just make sure you can get some air circulation through the van.

Colin

Rufs replied on 23/10/2023 10:28

Posted on 23/10/2023 10:28

I am guessing that your caravan is relatively new ?, on older caravans, i have a 2008 Coachman there is an additional board that sits approx 1 inch from the outer wall of the caravan, this is to stop what your are now experiencing, it stops bedding etc coming into contact with the outside wall which gets very cold especially during the Autumn and Winter months, and helps to alieviate the damp you are now experiencing.

Whittakerr replied on 23/10/2023 13:07

Posted on 23/10/2023 10:28 by Rufs

I am guessing that your caravan is relatively new ?, on older caravans, i have a 2008 Coachman there is an additional board that sits approx 1 inch from the outer wall of the caravan, this is to stop what your are now experiencing, it stops bedding etc coming into contact with the outside wall which gets very cold especially during the Autumn and Winter months, and helps to alieviate the damp you are now experiencing.

Posted on 23/10/2023 13:07

Hello Rufs, it's not just older caravans that have that feature, my 2022 Coachman has it fitted. It also lets the warm air from the radiators under the bed and settees to circulate through the living areas.

Rufs replied on 23/10/2023 13:43

Posted on 23/10/2023 13:07 by Whittakerr

Hello Rufs, it's not just older caravans that have that feature, my 2022 Coachman has it fitted. It also lets the warm air from the radiators under the bed and settees to circulate through the living areas.

Posted on 23/10/2023 13:43

Ok! maybe Coachman are a tad more upmarket ?I have seen new caravans without this feature which seems to me to be a cost cutting exercise that could cost you money further down the line.

Robert replied on 17/11/2023 16:32

Posted on 17/11/2023 16:32

If you have Alde heating having a board 25mm approx off the walls is part of heating cycle it allows heated air to rise up the wall should also enter overhead lockers  then drop down as will have cooled to start cycle over again try to keep moisture down by not allowing kettle etc to boil longer than needed & have windows open on ventilation setting to get air flow

Good idea in winter caravanning is to keep all bedding away from outside walls

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook