Fifth Wheel access UK

ScreenNameA78EDF7DA7 replied on 20/08/2022 11:43

Posted on 20/08/2022 11:43

Hello, all you lovely members.

My wife and I have sold our house and plan to takes months or years out of the property market.We've looked at static caravans, caravans, motor homes and fifth wheel.

Because I still work full time "from home" (haven't retired yet. :-) ) and this will be our residence, we need something larger but still with independent transport. As such, we're focussing on fifth wheel. We've also looked at larger motorhomes towing a small car.

The plan is to book ahead and stay in each location from 1 to 3 weeks, before moving elsewhere.

Our main concern thus far is how may sites accept fifth wheel vans - we get the impression that available sites are limited.

Can you guys please comment ?

Thanks in advance, Peter

JollyKernow replied on 22/08/2022 20:06

Posted on 22/08/2022 17:50 by young thomas

I realise you header mentions UK but FWIW here are a few 'lateral thoughts'....

Agree with Brue, but could broaden them even further and take this opportunity to tour Europe. Despite Schengen visiting rules, it would be easy to hop between UK and mainland Europe and still be full time.

roads are far better, much less traffic, sites are a mile away from typical UK fare, and much cheaper for most of the year. fuel, gas, food, wine and most else is cheaper.

you won't need to book sites either other than the peak mid July to end August. Perhaps be here with family at this time?

many folk long term in large vans, say 7.5 to 8m (Carthago, Neismann, Concorde etc) which are easily accommodated everywhere in Europe but, although nowhere near full timers, we manage perfectly well taking 30 odd weeks away from home each year (with 20-24 in Europe) in a 6.4M A class with electric bikes.

With such a great deal of time spent outside, the requirement for a huge van diminishes. As the weather gets colder, move further south.

We can tour easily into town centres, use Aires and full fat sites with pools etc and can get around wherever we wish.

starting the 'process' with the premise you need a huge van will bring other compromises. Remember, a Navarro (or similar) isn't the easiest thing to park in town..

you have a terrific opportunity here, enjoy whatever you decide.

Posted on 22/08/2022 20:06

Evening

With respect BB, 30 weeks away in your van a year isn't fulltiming. Having no property to fall back on brings a different world of things to get organised with. We've been doing it for 13 yearslaughing. I get your point about 8m vans as well but if we're looking at prices, a fifth wheel trailer (new) and a decent pickup can be had for an awful lot less than the European vans you mention, with acres of space making it feel like a small apartment, so much so that the huge chunk of change left over would probably pay for two years site fees in this country at least. A navarra isn't a huge vehicle by todays standards and is as easy to park as any 4x4. Some people like having a vehicle to get around in and not rely on a bicycle. We have electric bikes too but if I had the choice give me a car anyday.

Nice idea of going over there though, we do miss it greatly.

JK

young thomas replied on 22/08/2022 20:40

Posted on 22/08/2022 20:40

Well, the OP has plenty of advice. I'm sure he'll take it all on board and enjoy his new experience. I wish them good fortune.

ScreenNameA78EDF7DA7 replied on 23/08/2022 12:52

Posted on 23/08/2022 12:52

Thank you Guys.

All very helpful (and promising) - food for thought.

Regards, Peter

suekyra replied on 20/04/2024 15:14

Posted on 20/04/2024 15:14

Saw your post from 18 months ago - did you get your 5th? if you did, we hope you are enjoying it, but if not, why not? We bought a very old 5thwheeler in 1999 [actually converted from a show display vehicle, & so old we called her Geri - short for Geriatric?] she was our introduction to 5thwheelers, & we loved it. Even in 1999 we really had no trouble with finding sites, & had no problems with any 'anti' larger vehicles brigades. In 2007 we upgraded to an American Jayco, [with slide outs - Geri had had no such luxury] &  we loved that just as much [we always checked out sites accessibility beforehand, but our biggest problem was that we had marine waste tanks, & trying to ask beforehand whether there was a 'flat' manhole to empty your 18 gallon 4 wheeled 'blackwater] tank , second only to accessing through 5 barred gates on farm sites [which we used a lot as well.] 3rd issue was to ensure that Wifi was available in area. We sold the 5th last year, but are seriously thinking of getting another, as having gone back to a caravan, we really miss the space. In the 5th, there was actually space to spread out, somewhere to put your clothes & 'stuff' & generally not have feelings of  claustrophobia! So I really hope you got your 5th, & are enjoying it.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook