Hello 👋

SiLo replied on 20/02/2022 16:34

Posted on 20/02/2022 16:34

Hey Caravan and Motorhome Club, 

Very new to this - have hired a motorhome and now have the bug! Looking to buy a motorhome soon - of course when they are so expensive!!! 🤣

Got lots of questions about van layouts which are good, what to look for when buying a van. But will ask them in a separate note. For now, its been lovely to read the other posts and see how welcoming and helpful everyone is. 

L & S 

Kasspa replied on 21/02/2022 21:43

Posted on 21/02/2022 21:43

We always said we would buy a motorhome when we retired.... never hired one or been a caravaner but had camped all our lives so wanted a bit of 'luxury'.....

Started my research a few years before retirement (or so I thought), layout, weight, spec & manufacturers.

Had a shortlist & went to the motorhome show in Oct 2019 to basically eliminate the alternatives to what we had as No.1 (had even seen 1 online we liked as a Pre - Reg '19 plate the night before).

It proved a great find as we preferred the 2019 spec over the 2020.

During our 1st year of ownership, obviously our use dictated by Covid, I found a document on my laptop from 5 years earlier which I had forgotten about but it had the brand of our purchase as the one we bought!!!!

No regrets.

DSB replied on 22/02/2022 11:47

Posted on 22/02/2022 11:47

Welcome to Club Together SiLo.  Great to hear from you and the best of luck with your search for a new motorhome.  It is a difficult time to buy at the moment.... everyone seems to want to buy leisure vehicles.  You'll get there.  Look forward to reading how you get on - keep us posted..

David

Finnberrys replied on 05/03/2022 08:26

Posted on 05/03/2022 08:26

Welcome to the club! We've had our motorhome since Sept 2020 and have fallen in love with it. We have previously been tent campers, caravanners and had chunks of time doing no camping at all. 

Regarding layouts and buying a motorhome, I would suggest thinking through all of the things that you know are important to you. Break them down into non-negotiables, nice to haves and don't care stuff. E.g. for me, I'm a wheelchair user, so a bed with no ladder or set up is an essential, as is storage for both wheelchairs. We would really prefer a smaller vehicle but this is secondary to the essentials. 

I would also suggest looking into electric/gas/etc. Calor gas can be difficult to get hold of right now. We have a gaslow system and are really happy with it. We just fill up at our local LPG filling station. It's cheaper too. We also have a solar panel, which makes off grid trips easier, especially in the summer. The one thing I hate is the Webasto diesel heating. It's very effective and doesn't use much diesel but it drains the battery quite quickly, so in winter, EHU is a must.

Hope you find the vehicle that is right for you and have many happy holidays ahead!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook