Hello everyone

JaneandIain replied on 30/04/2022 18:32

Posted on 30/04/2022 18:32

Hi, new members here, Iain, Jane and our black lab Rebus.

Total novices, as I last had any involvement in caravanning with my parents back in the mid-70s. Thinks have changed a bit since then.

Busy month, involving travelling 400 miles to see a caravan we thought would suit us, bought it, attended a club training course, then for my first ever tow, brought the unladen caravan home (I learnt about low nose weights from that, not recommended). Lots to learn, so if you see 2 people with a gold XC70 Volvo and an Adria caravan scratching their heads or making fools of themselves by making mistakes don’t worry about embarrassing us by offering advice.

Think we have the basics almost sorted, looking forward to our first few days away, at Grantown upon Spey, a massive 30 miles from home.

Iain

JVB66 replied on 30/04/2022 19:15

Posted on 30/04/2022 18:32 by JaneandIain

Hi, new members here, Iain, Jane and our black lab Rebus.

Total novices, as I last had any involvement in caravanning with my parents back in the mid-70s. Thinks have changed a bit since then.

Busy month, involving travelling 400 miles to see a caravan we thought would suit us, bought it, attended a club training course, then for my first ever tow, brought the unladen caravan home (I learnt about low nose weights from that, not recommended). Lots to learn, so if you see 2 people with a gold XC70 Volvo and an Adria caravan scratching their heads or making fools of themselves by making mistakes don’t worry about embarrassing us by offering advice.

Think we have the basics almost sorted, looking forward to our first few days away, at Grantown upon Spey, a massive 30 miles from home.

Iain

Posted on 30/04/2022 19:15

Very much a positive not travelling a long distance from home ,then if you have forgotten things then an easy trip rather than have to buy itcool

And on the subject of buying  things that you think is a good idea? Most of us have a place at home full of such itemssurprised

Enjoy and some one will always help? or give advise? undecided

Have a good tripcool

ABM replied on 30/04/2022 21:41

Posted on 30/04/2022 21:41

A Black Lab called Rebus  undecided  Don't suppose it's a curly haired pup with the nickname  " Ken Stott "  by any chance ??  laughing

That apart  Welcome to the Club just beware of the hordes dashing north over the border looking for the glories of the NC500  smileinnocent

JaneandIain replied on 30/04/2022 21:55

Posted on 30/04/2022 21:41 by ABM

A Black Lab called Rebus  undecided  Don't suppose it's a curly haired pup with the nickname  " Ken Stott "  by any chance ??  laughing

That apart  Welcome to the Club just beware of the hordes dashing north over the border looking for the glories of the NC500  smileinnocent

Posted on 30/04/2022 21:55

NC500, now that’s a road trip to avoid. Used to travel round it before it became famous and over promoted. Nowhere near the fun it used to be unfortunately

Tinwheeler replied on 30/04/2022 22:12

Posted on 30/04/2022 21:55 by JaneandIain

NC500, now that’s a road trip to avoid. Used to travel round it before it became famous and over promoted. Nowhere near the fun it used to be unfortunately

Posted on 30/04/2022 22:12

Apart from stop offs on the way to the islands, we last toured the far north in 2014 and I'm very glad we did it then before it became so popular. 👍🏻

Takethedogalong replied on 01/05/2022 11:45

Posted on 01/05/2022 11:45

Hello and welcome😁 We have a Choccy Lab, crackpot of a pooch, great fun. Getting long in the tooth, and shorter in the leg, but still has the brain of a pup!

We are heading Scotland way shortly, D&G hopefully, but doing our own thing, hoping to avoid the bucket listers. A while since we last stayed, rather than motored through, but we shall find some hidden places😁

Hope you enjoy your touring, and woof to the pooch!😁

ABM replied on 01/05/2022 12:29

Posted on 01/05/2022 12:29

When you get to the Glen Trool area TtDA, just beware of them there midgie blighters --  I learned the hard way that its the area that they are sent for their Midgie Military Training !!

Truly I've NEVER been nibbled as much in my touring life--  Honest it was the only time I got back home lighter than when I started embarassedcry

mickysf replied on 01/05/2022 16:22

Posted on 01/05/2022 12:29 by ABM

When you get to the Glen Trool area TtDA, just beware of them there midgie blighters --  I learned the hard way that its the area that they are sent for their Midgie Military Training !!

Truly I've NEVER been nibbled as much in my touring life--  Honest it was the only time I got back home lighter than when I started embarassedcry

Posted on 01/05/2022 16:22

Been to Scotland many times but the worst place for midge in my experience was Kielder Water. May be when independence comes we can have border control and not let the blighters into England,🦟 

ABM replied on 01/05/2022 21:40

Posted on 01/05/2022 21:40

Never suffered too badly at Kielder but the Forestry Commission site in the Stewartry is still the only place that I have camped on where those BIG BLUE fly killing thingies were mounted on poles out on the tenting areas in order to try to keep them controlled { but failed !!}

bandgirl replied on 04/05/2022 12:17

Posted on 04/05/2022 12:17

Welcome Jane and Iain.  Don’t worry about the head scratching and making fools of yourselves.  We still do that quite often and we’ve had a caravan since 2011 and a motorhome before that.  Also don’t be afraid to ask for help or advice either on here, or on site.  You’ll get a plethora of answers, some useful and some not so much, so be prepared.  Enjoy your new caravan.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook