Learning to tow and set up

Jul17 replied on 05/05/2023 00:21

Posted on 05/05/2023 00:21

Hi, I am considering learning to tow and use my touring caravan on my own. 
I lost my husband to earlier this year and am trying to decide whether to continue to use our caravan. I have never towed, my husband did all the manual setting up and I never had to hitch up or set up on site. 
I would love to continue the lifestyle for peace and relaxation but am worried about the manual side. 
I would appreciate your views on strength required and how to level on a sloping site easily and is towing straightforward to learn. I was co pilot for over 30 years. 

Takethedogalong replied on 05/05/2023 18:11

Posted on 05/05/2023 18:11

Good advice. Get some towing instruction, learn how to use the motor mover, and the rest of setting up really is a doddle. My advice would be to travel as unfussily and light as possible, but still taking with you essentials.

We gave up on an awning years ago when we used our van, a simple parasol, lightweight table and chair is all you need, 2 minute set up, 2 minute pack up. Use a water container light enough to roll along, or simply don’t fill it as full. Empty the loo and waste water every day, rather than letting the containers fill. If you aren’t filling an awning with clutter, you could be off packed up in 15 minutes, and likewise on arrival you could have the kettle on after arrival in 10 minutes. You could if you wanted to simply use either a serviced pitch, or on-site facilities, but this will increase your costs, and might limit your choice of sites a bit, but the main thing is to keep it as stress free, labour free and as easy as possible.

If you find towing still isn’t for you, then a small camper really is easy, but it all depends on your funds. 

Wishing you the best of luck, and yes, you will find help will be out there, either from Site staff, or other visitors.๐Ÿ‘

Jul17 replied on 05/05/2023 19:58

Posted on 05/05/2023 19:58

Hi, thank you for all your helpful and positive replies. 
I think I’ll book a towing course and take it from there, I won’t know until I try it. 
I’m sure if I stick to familiar sites there will always be someone if I have any issues. 

Cornersteady replied on 06/05/2023 10:13

Posted on 05/05/2023 19:58 by Jul17

Hi, thank you for all your helpful and positive replies. 
I think Iโ€™ll book a towing course and take it from there, I wonโ€™t know until I try it. 
Iโ€™m sure if I stick to familiar sites there will always be someone if I have any issues. 

Posted on 06/05/2023 10:13

Good to know and thanks for coming back on.

I would just say though that even with a towing course I can't overstate the usefulness of a mover and preferably one that connects with the wheels by itself and not a level, we have a lever and we often set up by ourselves but it does take some effort.

With a mover even though you'll know how to reverse you won't have to. You can unhitch off the pitch and let the mover do all the work in getting the caravan where you want it to be exactly aligned. I would consider myself pretty experienced but I doubt I could reverse with greater accuracy and get the caravan aligned forward to back and sideways. Also hitching up is far easier as the mover will move the caravan to your car easily and exactly over the tow ball.

You'll always (probably) have to level front to back, or pitch as we would call, it but that's fairly easy and takes hardly any effort, and a mover makes sideways leveling (roll) far easier using a ramp under one wheel. Although on club sites on HS pitches this isn't usually necessary. 'Yaw' doesn't come into it but it may make the other two not level. 

There are also self leveling systems which do all that at the touch of a button if you want.

Chocks away and happy landings. 

Jul17 replied on 06/05/2023 23:39

Posted on 06/05/2023 23:39

Hi, Yes thank you, there is a powrtouch on our caravan. I have a friend who can help with manoeuvres with the mover. 
just need to get some towing tuition and confidence to attempt to get going. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook