Maxview Portable Sat dish.

Leslie Everest 2014 replied on 23/02/2024 15:47

Posted on 23/02/2024 15:47

Im Leslie, (F) and regular caravanner and tourer.  Im 81 and still doing this on my own.

I thought it would be useful this year, Olympics and Wimbledon, to make use of Sky Q. 

I purchased and took advice on model from Maxview.  I'm now on my second dish.  First one not suitable for Sky Q and now they tell me this replacement wont do wither.  Both at Maxview recommendation.  Yes I'm fuming...

Can anyone tell me the model I require and has anyone had similar issues? I have assembled (and disassembled) two setups now.  "No signal message" on TV screen.  

I have lost all faith in Maxview..

LE

mickysf replied on 23/02/2024 16:51

Posted on 23/02/2024 16:51

The day of satellite TV is probably gone. Many dishes on houses are now unused or have been removed according to Curry’s. Sky too are increasingly moving to internet provision with little if any development in this media . Maybe Maxview too are no longer interested in developing Satellite TV products.

Simon100 replied on 23/02/2024 20:34

Posted on 23/02/2024 20:34

It might be that it is not the dish that is the problem, but the LNB, which has to be specific to Sky Q. I also understand that Sky Q is not so easy to use a away from the home. 

You might be better off purchasing a freesat system from another retailer, such as here

https://www.satellitetvshop.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-tv-equipment

https://falcontechnology.co.uk/product-category/installed/motorhome-caravan-satellite-tv/portable-satellite-dishes/quicksat-qs45/

I used to use a sky HD box, but when I got Sky Q, I changed to a FreeSat system and have not had any problems. I purchased a stand alone dish, LNB and a Freesat box from Argos. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/brands/freesat

As always Google is your friend..

richardandros replied on 24/02/2024 05:50

Posted on 24/02/2024 05:50

I agree with mickysf. I have a flat Avtex satellite dish for use with our Avtex TV which has a built-in tuner and uses "Easyfind" technology so it's a bit easier to set up than most.  That said I could count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times I have actually used it in the last ten years. I tend to take it to sites where I know there is no terrestrial signal and to be honest, they are few and far between. The one time it did really come into it's own was a few years ago when the Bilsdale transmitter was down and I was the only person on the CS near Malton we were staying on that could get a TV signal smile. The other thing to think about is that quite a few sites are surrounded by trees and it's therefore difficult to get line of sight to the Astra satellite unless you have one of those roof-mounted contraptions that some motorhomes have.

The internet is a much better and easier option although, of course, there is a cost.

JollyKernow replied on 24/02/2024 09:13

Posted on 23/02/2024 15:47 by Leslie Everest 2014

Im Leslie, (F) and regular caravanner and tourer.  Im 81 and still doing this on my own.

I thought it would be useful this year, Olympics and Wimbledon, to make use of Sky Q. 

I purchased and took advice on model from Maxview.  I'm now on my second dish.  First one not suitable for Sky Q and now they tell me this replacement wont do wither.  Both at Maxview recommendation.  Yes I'm fuming...

Can anyone tell me the model I require and has anyone had similar issues? I have assembled (and disassembled) two setups now.  "No signal message" on TV screen.  

LE

Posted on 24/02/2024 09:13

Morning

So, it's not the actual dish that's at fault, you could use any old dish. It's the LNB that's the important bit, that's the bit on the end of an arm that points to the dish. If you ask any worthwhile satellite firm they will point you to the correct LNB to use sky q.

A decent sat finder is also a worthwhile purchase, preferably a digital one.

JK

Vulcan replied on 24/02/2024 15:37

Posted on 23/02/2024 15:47 by Leslie Everest 2014

LE

Posted on 24/02/2024 15:37

Hi Leslie. According to the Maxview website all their current portable dishes are available with a Sky Q LNB. Get the part number of your LNB and confirm with Maxview that you have a  Sky Q LNB, if it is the correct one are you sure you are locking on to the correct satellite as there are a few quite close together and as suggested a digital signal meter makes it a lot easier. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook