New member - new to caravans and insurance

rsjthacker replied on 28/01/2023 12:41

Posted on 28/01/2023 12:41

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are new to caravans. We are buying a Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona for folidays with our 5 kids.....we are also buying a awning with sleeping pods!

Any recommendations for insurance? Anyone have experience of the club cover? 

Regards

Richard

richardandros replied on 28/01/2023 13:05

Posted on 28/01/2023 13:05

The only thing that matters to me with insurance - is what the company is like when it comes to a claim.  Cheapest invariably isn't the best.  I can only speak from my experience when we had a claim two years ago when some nice person decided to fire an air rifle at the side of our van.  We were (and continued to be) 'insured' by this Club.  The total cost of repairs was about £1500.

On reporting the claim, the call handlers at Devitt's were understanding and sympathetic to our plight and totally helpful.  An assessor arrived at our home the following day and immediately authorised repairs by the dealer nominated by me. He was also subsequently most helpful in chasing up spares from Knaus in Germany.  At the conclusion of the exercise, I submitted a claim for my transport costs to Devitt's (as I was entitled to do - and pretty substantial considering a total of 600 miles travelled).  I not only received a cheque within 48 hours but it was for more than I had claimed because of their different way of calculating it.

Our van and equipment is insured for more than £40k and I am paying well over £500 per year for the insurance.  By no means the cheapest insurer around but the 'extra' £100 or perhaps £150 I am paying is well worth it for the service I get - as compared with the absolute grief, anguish and frustration I experienced from another well known (cheap) car insurer some years ago who seemed intent on making everything as difficult as possible

You 'pays your money and takes your choice' - all depends what is more important to you.

eurortraveller replied on 28/01/2023 14:43

Posted on 28/01/2023 14:43

Rsjthacker,  My own selection was to look for policies with a 5 star Defaqto rating, but to avoid those companies who imposed restrictions on place of storage, and who required a tracker and a high level of security on the caravan itself.  

eribaMotters replied on 28/01/2023 20:04

Posted on 28/01/2023 20:04

The clubs insurance is excellent, but very expensive. For a similar level of cover, with good reviews and at probably 1/2 the cost, try Ripe, Lifesure and Cover4Caravans. £20/22K seems to be the figure at which extra security measures kick in and you may need an alarm, tracker etc.

I am currently being quoted £240-260 on a total of £22-24K, two security devices, stored on the driveway, European cover and typically a £200 excess. 

Colin

ScreenNameE83017A038 replied on 30/01/2023 15:20

Posted on 30/01/2023 15:20

Hi just been quoted 1400 pounds for our insurance on our motorhome nearly fainted, any ideas please it is secure parked with cameras etc, husband is 70 and we are newbies all going against us any ideas please best place to go, also we have been told as price of van is 85,000 we will definitely need a tracker be grateful for any help.

eribaMotters replied on 30/01/2023 17:24

Posted on 30/01/2023 17:24

You obviously need to shop around, but I am guessing one of the issues may also be a potential lack of any ncd. Do not assume that as you have a nice hefty discount  on your car then you will get the same discount on a new policy for another vehicle. You could try a multi vehicle policy or insure the motorhome as your main vehicle.

Colin

Kasspa replied on 31/01/2023 22:34

Posted on 30/01/2023 15:20 by ScreenNameE83017A038

Hi just been quoted 1400 pounds for our insurance on our motorhome nearly fainted, any ideas please it is secure parked with cameras etc, husband is 70 and we are newbies all going against us any ideas please best place to go, also we have been told as price of van is 85,000 we will definitely need a tracker be grateful for any help.

Posted on 31/01/2023 22:34

Try Comfort Insurance, Aviva Policies.

Mine was £58k value, guaranteed 'new for old' value for first 3 years.

I was 65 at the time & premium was circa £400. Parked at home on my drive.

Came with a tracker that had a free 1 year subscription & I would have thought a van of that value would have one as factory fitted!

Hope this helps.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook