New to caravaning

ScreenName7D280D9D5A replied on 26/07/2021 15:55

Posted on 26/07/2021 15:55

Hello I’m Laura and my husband is Richard. We have taken early retirement and have decided to buy a caravan. But there is so much to it, I’m feeling overwhelmed 🙈have I done the right thing? Lol

Whittakerr replied on 04/08/2021 10:36

Posted on 04/08/2021 10:36

We took the plunge 11 years ago and bought our first caravan (brand new) after thinking long and hard about the layout we wanted.

We did make a mistake when buying a full awning, we bought one with steel poles which were far to heavy. Luckily we were able to part exchange it for an Isabella full awning with light weight Carbonx poles and the loss was only in the 10s of pounds (about £50 from memory.

We never went down the route of borrowing from home. We bought fitted bedding from Jonic and everything else we needed from the likes of Dunelm, The Range, Go Outdoors etc. We found it much easier to just pack clothes and do a bit of food shopping and then then go.

We must have been lucky or very good planners and researchers because we bought very little that we haven't used. The only thing in my loft is a pair of plastic levelling ramps which i changed for a Lock 'n' Level, which wasn't available when we started.

Good luck with all your purchases and i hope you have many years of enjoyable trips.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook