Newbie with a Tiny Outfit!

tony9343 replied on 16/07/2019 16:53

Posted on 16/07/2019 16:53

Afternoon.
I joined the club a couple of years ago to try-out a couple of nights away from home.
We hired a self-build camper from a broker and the van itself had seen better days.  A good few horses had gone missing from under the bonnet and the only light that the electrics gave out was the spark when I tried to replace a fuse. The toilet discouraged its use by simply existing. All in all, not the best introduction to life outside of brick walls.
Two years later, I'm still a member and have been daydreaming about where to start. I need to be small to begin with, as money and driveway space are both limited.  Also, I'm still working full-time, so don't want to spend money to have an outfit sitting on my driveway, like one of my neighbours...
So, my current idea is to start small. Very small.
I'm looking at getting hold of a Citroen Berlingo XL/VW Caddy Life Maxi, having blinds made and then getting a kit from Campal (https://campal.co.uk/). This would allow me to have a vehicle that I can use on a tip run, carry the mother-in-law around in and at weekends, get away with the dog.
I emailed the office to ask if such an outfit would be allowed into any sites, but I got a vague reply quoting the guidelines.  Being a novice, I don't want to go down this route if I'm going to be turned away at the gate.
The main things that the Campal has - apart from the ability to lift-out the kit  - and that I'd like some clarity on are:
  •  The stove is powered by small canisters of gas.
  •  The stove pulls out on a drawer from the main unit, so cooking would be outside, under the tailgate.
  •  The unit can be lifted in and out by two people.

Here's the text of the email to give the whole picture...

"...conversion must have seats and a table, sleeping accommodation, cooking facilities, storage facilities and adequate ventilation. There must also be curtains for privacy when sleeping and fittings must be rigidly fixed to the living compartment."

Hope this makes sense and I won't be chased out of the club for suggesting such an outfit!

Thanks in advance,

Tony 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook