Old but new to this

2axles replied on 18/11/2021 11:57

Posted on 18/11/2021 11:57

I think we're a bit of an outlier - we are fist time caravaners and I am 59 - and we are really doing it on the cheap.

Our main objective in buying the 'van is to go to a Festival or two next year.  We like going to festivals but we aren't thrilled about the toilet and shower facilities if we're in a tent so we wondered about taking our own.

An accident of a few factors - our elderly but still working Discovery, having space on our drive for storage and the offer of a cheap but old caravan has led us here.

Not sure how long we'll get out of this 'van - it has damp in the front around the windows which has been attacked with limited effect by a previous owner - I knew about this.  It also has a springy floor in places, but there's no other apparent damp.

The 'van is a 1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB - a twin axle.

We have taken it out for a few nights at a couple of local sites and really enjoyed it - but we aren't really hobby caravaners and we don't have the kind of sums to spend that evidently most people on the sites do :)

I am a keen amateur mechanic and have electrical skills and used to work in a boatyard so I am fairly confident around all the fixtures and fittings - currently installing some USB charging sockets and updating some lighting.

JillwithaJay replied on 18/11/2021 12:16

Posted on 18/11/2021 12:16

Hello and welcome 2axles.  

I think you've gone into this with your eyes wide open and know the limitations of your van and seem to accept them.

We have what would be termed an 'elderly' van now as it's almost 14 years old and will probably be our last.  We've used it for accommodation when attending outdoor musical events (picnic concerts) and find it much better than either driving all the way home very late at night without being able to enjoy a drink or three, or finding a nearby hotel and paying silly money for one night's accommodation.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook