Tents, caravans, cottages and now campers

Paul Rainbow replied on 28/09/2021 12:03

Posted on 28/09/2021 12:03

Three stages of life consist of camping ('cos when you are newly married, it was cheap and fitted in the Hillman Avenger), caravanning (when you have kids, it's so much easier and the Volvo 240 is made for towing), a brief excursion to hire cottages when the kids leave home, and finally retirement to a Campervan because you miss the touring!

With a brief pause for cottaging (there must be a better name for hiring a cottage for a week) I have been in the CC since about 1979. I remember my dad getting 'En Route', and I am now looking forward to using my new-to-us Fiat Ducato Tribute to do a bit of touring next year.

So a big hello again!

ADP1963 replied on 28/09/2021 19:05

Posted on 28/09/2021 19:05

Now I know I am a Dinosaur Andy..............didn't know what cottaging meant in any other context. But reading your second post there is no need for me to know.

nelliethehooker replied on 28/09/2021 19:53

Posted on 28/09/2021 19:53

We have not followed the general trend then. We've been caravanners for over 45 yrs and,  although did hire the occasional cottage when visiting Ireland and Denmark and an odd package holiday, have used a caravan for all our travelling.

EmilysDad replied on 28/09/2021 20:12

Posted on 28/09/2021 19:05 by ADP1963

Now I know I am a Dinosaur Andy..............didn't know what cottaging meant in any other context. But reading your second post there is no need for me to know.

Posted on 28/09/2021 20:12

🤣🤣 There's always Google if you feel the need to know .. 

DSB replied on 28/09/2021 23:01

Posted on 28/09/2021 23:01

Our progression was: ridge tent, large ridge tent, small frame tent, large frame tent with a small trailer, trailer tent, small caravan, followed by a series of larger caravans.  Occasionally we use cottage/hotel accommodation, but still love the caravan.  At the moment,I can't see us going to a motorhome.  I don't thing it would suit the way we holiday - but who knows what is around the corner....

Enjoy the motorhome, Paul, and do let us know how you are getting on with it all 

David

Hedgehurst replied on 07/11/2021 19:42

Posted on 07/11/2021 19:42

We're obviously out of the norm here - from 1.5 man tent when I was 16, which my newly wed wife bravely joined in using in our 20's for a few years until we had children, then briefly a frame tent, but got fed up with the monster so back to ridge tent.
Our growing daughters got their own tent while still joining us on holidays.
Strangely, when they grew up and left home we went into a bigger tent, a gorgeous Cabanon tunnel type Biscaya which we loved dearly until back issues finally forced us, only in our 60's, into a caravan. It's smaller on the ground than the Biscaya, but so much easier to pitch and pack up, and warmer too, and extended our camping season.
A few self-catering cottage visits were an occasional interpolation.

meecee replied on 08/11/2021 16:38

Posted on 08/11/2021 16:38

Much like others we have had.... small borrowed tent, (children, not much money, stayed home), large frame tent, trailer tent, small caravan + tent, larger new caravan, motorhome, upspec motorhome, currently have van conversion small motorhome.  Beginning to wonder how long we can keep going (in our seventies}

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook