Attempted theft after only one week 😢

crobinson9 replied on 16/07/2019 23:05

Posted on 16/07/2019 23:05

I have brought an LMC van that I have saved for and finally decided after three years to make the jump for.  I joined the caravan club less than one week ago straight after buying the caravan.  I have booked our first trip for 8th aug through the caravan club and  stored it on a reputable site and guess what - someone has already tried to steel it- the bull dog wheel clamps (twin axel) that have cost me almost £400 are destroyed and I feel gutted !  I’m not sure this is for me I’m so worried. Now it’s took all of the enjoyment away and feel like just getting rid now . What security do other people use on their vans- this is our first one and I thought it was so luxurious - obviously is to travellers too !!!

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2019 23:30

Posted on 16/07/2019 23:30

Unfortunately, large T/A continental vans can be targets but, if the van is your ideal, stick with it, fit as many security devices as is sensible and, above all, make sure you have a good insurance policy and you comply with all its requirements.

You will never stop a determined thief so make sure you never leave anything of great value in it - either in terms of money or sentimentality.

At the end of the day, if the worst happens, it’s only a caravan and can be replaced courtesy of your insurers. 

You’ve had a bad experience but it’s not worth throwing in the towel. If you sell it now you will take a very hefty hit in the wallet so you might as well stick with it.

crobinson9 replied on 16/07/2019 23:31

Posted on 16/07/2019 23:31

I wasn’t assuming that’s what the storage facility have told me  after disturbing them at 1am this morning trying to steel it- they have tried mine and a hobby ?  - I am completely new and was unaware of any difference in preference to vans and have just been told that these are travellers favourites.  I work with travellers and am not one making judgements or presuming, but am currently away with friends and am going on information received, and now feel so vulnerable and unable to protect what is mine.  Thought securing it would be the best thing to do- anyone any ideas on the best security devices to use or is it a case of if whoever wants to try and steel it will do so whatever is in place ? I feel like just letting it go and not continuing with this dream which is really not good 👎🏼

crobinson9 replied on 16/07/2019 23:37

Posted on 16/07/2019 23:37

Thanks Tinwheeler - any suggestions on wheel clamps/locks/chains - there is nothing in there of any value I’m just sad that I haven’t even used it and now I’m petrified - I brought it on my own to have some holidays (a female) and was absolutely scared to death to tow it, hitch it up etc etc but have done it and now just feel deflated . I have an ALKO hitch lock, had the two bull dog wheel clamps the best I was advised to have they just bent like a piece of paper - the storage yard have never had trouble and then mine lands and within a week this , I’ve spent the day apologising I feel dreadful. 

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2019 23:55

Posted on 16/07/2019 23:55

I’m not up to date on caravan security devices so I’m not the best person to advise you. I think the club has info on security but I’ve failed to find it. Have a hunt around the site and you might have more luck  

One thing I would suggest you consider is to get it CRIS registered if it’s not already done. That may be an insurance requirement and does make it recognisable.

https://www.cris.co.uk/registration/

crobinson9 replied on 16/07/2019 23:57

Posted on 16/07/2019 23:30 by Tinwheeler

Unfortunately, large T/A continental vans can be targets but, if the van is your ideal, stick with it, fit as many security devices as is sensible and, above all, make sure you have a good insurance policy and you comply with all its requirements.

You will never stop a determined thief so make sure you never leave anything of great value in it - either in terms of money or sentimentality.

At the end of the day, if the worst happens, it’s only a caravan and can be replaced courtesy of your insurers. 

You’ve had a bad experience but it’s not worth throwing in the towel. If you sell it now you will take a very hefty hit in the wallet so you might as well stick with it.

Posted on 16/07/2019 23:57

I also have to ultimately consider the ongoing financial implications of abiding by the insurance recommendations and re-fitting new wheel clamps at £400 per week along with anything else that is destroyed in the attempt to take the van- I don’t know what to do for the best. Thanks for listening to my rants Clare x

mickysf replied on 17/07/2019 05:59

Posted on 17/07/2019 05:59

Clare, there are many of us who have/have had foreign units and had the good fortune not to experience this totally understandable upset you are currently facing. Indeed for the vast majority of us we thoroughly enjoy our wonderful pastime as should you. May I dare to say you need to draw comfort from us. It may help to join the LMC Owners Club if there is one, or the dedicated section on Caravan Talk, they could have specific advice about security measures and related issues to these and similar vans. They seem to be generally a very positive happy lot who are proud owners who stay very faithful to this brand. Now go and enjoy as best possible.

replied on 17/07/2019 06:48

Posted on 17/07/2019 06:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Oneputt replied on 17/07/2019 07:20

Posted on 17/07/2019 07:20

3 years ago 4 vans were stolen from our compound. none were continental manufacturer, one was brand new and hadn't been insured. Other vans were also damaged. 

The cctv should exactly who had done it, the police din't bother with viewing the footage for over a month or even fingerprinting any of the damaged parts. I do wonder what there policy is towards certain sections of the community 

The main thing is to ensure that your van is well insured.  

Not trying to put you off but have a look at u tube about how easy it is to steal caravans 

Having said all that please try and ensure that you enjoy the great pastime of vanning 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook