Best time to buy

LeeBargh replied on 20/07/2022 20:49

Posted on 20/07/2022 20:49

Hi,

I don’t own a caravan yet, but I know the one I am after.

I visited the local distributor yesterday to discuss options, he said that new caravans are coming out in October after the NEC show and he expects prices to go up between 4-8%.

The question is, do I order the 2022 model now, or wait until October to see what the new model brings, but with the risk of paying more for it?

The Caravan I am looking at is the Bailey Phoenix Plus 640.

Never purchased a Caravan before so much appreciated, and if you don’t mind I would rather steer away from suggestions of other Caravans, I’m just looking at the best way to get a good deal for this one brand new.

Cheers

Lee

Tinwheeler replied on 27/07/2022 12:45

Posted on 27/07/2022 12:45

Hi, Lee, it looks like you’ve been caught up in the new poster approval process.

The only tip I can give you is that there are often bargains to be had in previous year models already on the forecourt once the new ones arrive and there’s usually little difference in them year to year. I thought the new year models came out in August🤷🏻‍♂️

eribaMotters replied on 27/07/2022 14:33

Posted on 27/07/2022 14:33

If you can find the van you want in stock, not storage or on it's way, so you can physically inspect it and the price is good for you. then buy it.

As said above, models differ little from year to year. I've visited over a dozen idealers n the last 6 weeks in UK, NL and France. All dealers are suggesting price rises of 5-10%. A few are prepared to take an order with £1000 deposit, no confirmed delivery date or specification guarantee, but your deposit back if prices up more than 7%. Most dealers would not take an order until end August/start of September as manufacturers will be releasing details at the Dusseldorf show.

Some dealers I spoke to have an allocated number of vans for 2023. If your model fits in with what they [might] have coming you could be able to get a van in 2023. 2024 deliveries were being suggested for a factory specification build.

So as I said if you can step in the van of your choice and you like it, buy it.

Colin

eurortraveller replied on 27/07/2022 16:46

Posted on 27/07/2022 16:46

Lee,  Beware just going for cheapest.  Buy from a dealer near home and one with a good record . . The sad story is that your brand new caravan will be going back for warranty work, perhaps more than once, and you don’t want to be trailing hundreds of miles every time that happens.

wh1nbrew replied on 28/07/2022 18:33

Posted on 28/07/2022 18:33

Don't discount a used one.  We bought a one year old one, hardly used, and strangely, had the choice of two identical base vans within 20 miles of each other we checked out the same day.  And then sold on the (too big for us) awning it came with to a couple who bought another identical van that I saw for sale a few days later.  You still have the lions share of the warranty, and are likely to have a few extras thrown in, even if it is only the leisure battery and, especially for something that size, the essential motor mover.  There do seem to be a quite a few "as new" secondhand vans around, being sold by people who have had second thoughts, or are changing to something else.  And you get it now.  Just check the thing thoroughly for finance and genuine ownership, i.e. it is theirs to sell.  Make sure it has been appropriately serviced if over a year old to ensure the warranty is valid.  

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 29/07/2022 08:47

Posted on 29/07/2022 08:47

Don’t be caught up in the ‘panic buy’ scenarios, we are heading into low use territory-Autumn/Winter, we are heading into a recession, we are heading into unprecedented times re costs & inflationary pressures. What is beginning to unfold is a tight squeeze on our pockets. If you have money that is fluid(not debt) your bargaining power is going to become hugely significant. I’m going to make a substantial purchase over the next 6months but I am waiting for the Autumn/January hikes in the cost of living. A lot of things bought in panic from 2020 til now will be sold to finance survival. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey are my thoughts.

hitchglitch replied on 29/07/2022 13:57

Posted on 29/07/2022 13:57

Surely NEC has all the new models? Wouldn’t be much point in it otherwise. I am not sure what the supply situation is this year but I know that when we bought our new Motorhome last year the manufacturer had only 50% of the base vehicles they needed for the builds. We were told the price could go up 10% but in the end it was a small increase. We ordered in September for delivery in March. No point having it hang around unused in winter.

I endorse earlier comments about using a local dealer. Your caravan WILL go back for a warranty fix. NEC is a good venue for comparing prices. Get the best deal then go back to your preferred dealer for a price match. Worked for us when we bought our Bailey Unicorn (some years ago!), which, by the way, twice went back to the factory via our dealer for damp repairs.

Roger McNair replied on 29/07/2022 17:00

Posted on 29/07/2022 17:00

Hi Lee, must support the advice to buy locally from a dealer with a strong reputation for customer service - why because the 'contract' you have is with the dealer and not the manufacturer. We've had numerous faults with our caravan - nearly all because Coachman don't seem to be checking the quality / function of supplier parts as they fit them. Our dealer has been superb.

Be wary of sales staff warning of price rises in the autumn - our local dealer has several 2022 Swifts reduced to clear his stock, and given the current economic climate any price rise will be negotiable. In Oct 2020 I negotiated 12% reduction on the then list price of a 2021 Coachman Laser 575 (by offering a fixed amount to include air conditioning, tow cover etc)...and also received the manufacturer's cash back of £930.

Good luck and happy caravanning!

Roger

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook