Economical and easy to fit tracker advice please?

MoHoSinger replied on 10/04/2024 19:25

Posted on 10/04/2024 19:25

I have posted elsewhere on this site indicating that I have just acquired an LHD 2007 Hobby T500 mainly for European touring. Ihave the V5 in my name and the MH is on SORN and  still with the dealer near Barton on Humber  as I have no time to use until next month. I am collecting on 03.05.24.

I am likely to go with Caravan Guard for insurance cover. Being new to all this my insurance premium Year 1 is a little eye watering especially when coming on top of the purchase of the van!!

My question: I can gain an insurance premium reduction of a little over a £110 if I fit a tracker within 28 days. I already have a man coming to fit a four camera trucker system as soon as the van arrives with me. I might ask him to fit a tracker if it beyond my skills.

Caravan Guard list their approved trackers here:

https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/motorhome-insurance/tracking-devices.php

Can someone recommend an inexpensive tracker system that is at the bottom end of the cost range and economical to fit and maintain please?

Given that my MH is a "toe in the water" modest value purchase I do not need a "bells and whistles" system.Just something that is reliable and will pay for itself given year on year insurance premium renewals. 

Thank in advance for your replies!

Chris

richardandros replied on 11/04/2024 05:31

Posted on 11/04/2024 05:31

Chris - welcome to CT and good luck with your new MoHo.  I'm afraid, what you are proposing, doesn't exist.  Although I haven't followed through with your link, I'm sure it's going to tell you that only Category 6 or 7 (Thatcham approved) trackers are going to be acceptable to your insurer.  They are not at the 'cheap end of the market' so you will not make any financial saving by fitting one.

If, on the other hand, you want to fit one anyway - just for your own peace of mind - I fitted a Rewire Security tracker to my caravan - costs about £35 for the tracker and the monthly subscription is about £8 - but even if that were acceptable to insurers (which it isn't!), you're only saving a few £s. It's simple to fit and works well - very accurate and sends you an alert if the vehicle is moved etc and has lots of other features. 

MoHoSinger replied on 12/04/2024 20:58

Posted on 12/04/2024 20:58

The term economical is relative and I have been on a steep learning curve in the last 48 hours.  I was looking for Thatcham approved to get the benefit of premium reduction. So that means S5 or S7. Curiously S7 is lower spec and cheaper than S5!

Assuming the capital cost is acceptable the problem with most products is that the premium saving gets cancelled out by the phone subscription. Surprisingly the best deal I have found so far is  with Vodafone:
https://www.trackershop-uk.com/vodafone-protect-connect-asset-and-vehicle-tracker.html#:~:text=The%20Vodafone%20Protect%20and%20Connect%20is%20the%20newest,and%20the%20first%20year%E2%80%99s%20subscription.%20...%20More%20items
This Vodafone S7 system costs £310 including 1 year's subscription and fitting and thereafter £45 p.a. So a saving of circa £65 on next year's premium following this year's outlay. That has some attraction! I might just get it done.

And a bit of good news for me today. The  van MOT'd with no advisories so no obvious  extra expenditure there. Every little helps!

Chris 

richardandros replied on 13/04/2024 15:48

Posted on 13/04/2024 15:48

I stand corrected Chris.  Hadn't come across that one before and as you say, if you accept the initial capital expenditure, the annual subscriptions are very attractive compared with most others.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook