Flat batteries in new campervan.

ScreenName81B7FE9423 replied on 23/12/2021 20:10

Posted on 23/12/2021 20:10

We bought a 2021 Swift Select 122 campervan about 4 weeks ago & drove it for about 380 miles in the first few days. Been sitting idle in drive for about 3 weeks. Was texted with leisure battery alert warning few days ago followed by vehicle battery alert warning yesterday. Unable to start van at all when returned from short holiday today. Called Fiat Assist for help & waiting for RAC to call us. Have solar panel, alarm & Phantom tracking device fitted. (Alarm keeps going off at times today & virtually no response to pressing key fobs). How can we prevent further similar problems? Do we need to buy some sort of battery chargers? Any advice would be great. Thanks.   Iain. 

ScreenName81B7FE9423 replied on 21/01/2022 14:44

Posted on 21/01/2022 14:44

Having trouble getting photo downloaded. Swift command panel display heading is 'POWER'. Display reads 'Leisure 13.3V, 0.2A. Solar 0.3A, Vehicle 12.3V. Selected battery Leisure'. Sorry about the technical problems with the photo. Hope this makes sense.

young thomas replied on 21/01/2022 16:27

Posted on 21/01/2022 12:13 by ScreenName81B7FE9423

Thanks for your replies again. We bought a battery charger from Halfords (as per previous post) & have had the leisure battery charging on trickle charge since Monday afternoon with only a few short interruptions - almost 4 days now. Still not fully charged so taking a long time. We thought that at least something might be working by now but can't even get the electric step to work yet. Is this to be expected? Will it only work when the leisure battery is fully charged?? Is there a way to tell how much the leisure battery is charged (percentage wise)?? 

Posted on 21/01/2022 16:27

As ED says, this is taking far too long...

just to check, how are you charging the battery? Is the charger connected to an external power source (13a lead from house) and you have the battery in situ in the van?....not away from the vehicle on the bench?

If the latter, then there is something wrong with the battery or the charger..

however, if the former, it may be that whatever was draining the battery in the first place is still draining it, almost as fast as the charger is putting in the charge.

"Leisure 13.3V, 0.2A. Solar 0.3A, Vehicle 12.3V. Selected battery Leisure" from your other post suggests that the charge is at 13.3v which is fully charged with solar keeping it topped up with its 0.3A. Why do you thing it's still charging, something on the charger?

I suggest you take the battery out, onto a bench in the garage and charge it separately...

ScreenName81B7FE9423 replied on 21/01/2022 17:31

Posted on 21/01/2022 17:31

Thanks again. We're charging the battery with the battery charger in the floor of the van on trickle charge attached to an extension lead through a window to the house. The charger has orange light on suggesting 'battery charging' - there's also a green light which comes on when 'battery fully charged' - but it hasn't come on yet. Strange that the electric step isn't working despite the leisure battery being at 13.3V. Could this be a fuse problem, etc? 

Tinwheeler replied on 21/01/2022 17:42

Posted on 21/01/2022 17:31 by ScreenName81B7FE9423

Thanks again. We're charging the battery with the battery charger in the floor of the van on trickle charge attached to an extension lead through a window to the house. The charger has orange light on suggesting 'battery charging' - there's also a green light which comes on when 'battery fully charged' - but it hasn't come on yet. Strange that the electric step isn't working despite the leisure battery being at 13.3V. Could this be a fuse problem, etc? 

Posted on 21/01/2022 17:42

I don’t know if this has already been said but have you contacted your dealer? Fiat Camper Assist, despite the name, won’t be interested in anything that’s not Fiat and your warranty on the MH is with your dealer.

young thomas replied on 21/01/2022 18:34

Posted on 21/01/2022 18:34

As above, there may be a constant drain which is preventing the 'fully charged' light from coming on...moving the battery (or disconnecting the cabling to the van electrics) and charging it unconnected will remove any anomaly.

yes, it's perfectly possible that the step operation has failed due to a fuse issue, your manual should tell you which fuse to check.

SPR1968 replied on 23/01/2022 09:43

Posted on 23/01/2022 09:43

I had a similar problem with my caravan leisure battery on a 2021 Bailey with solar panel

I assumed the solar panel would keep it charged up, but I’m guessing with the cloudy days it couldn’t so it went flat after around 4 weeks

I have a Ctek charger for a special car, so I removed the battery and recharged it and it’s working fine again. So I’m guessing this may need doing over winter unless you can plug it in somewhere. Mines in secure storage so I can’t 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 23/01/2022 10:15

Posted on 23/01/2022 09:43 by SPR1968

I had a similar problem with my caravan leisure battery on a 2021 Bailey with solar panel

I assumed the solar panel would keep it charged up, but I’m guessing with the cloudy days it couldn’t so it went flat after around 4 weeks

I have a Ctek charger for a special car, so I removed the battery and recharged it and it’s working fine again. So I’m guessing this may need doing over winter unless you can plug it in somewhere. Mines in secure storage so I can’t 

Posted on 23/01/2022 10:15

It isn’t the lack of sun it’s a number of things that add up to the issues. PV’s(Photovoltaic) panels work well under cloudy conditions, the panel needs to be angled at the sun as best as possible. If it’s laid flat in shade it has no chance. That is why a lot of heavy duty offgridders are turning to portable fold up panels that can be moved into the best position. Ecoflow, Jackery, Bluetti, power oak are some. I know many vanners & outdoors folk who use them with super results outside Summer months. 
PS-I have one but I am not allied to any manufacturer I just know they work without the big ££ layout👍🏻

SteveL replied on 23/01/2022 10:49

Posted on 23/01/2022 09:43 by SPR1968

Posted on 23/01/2022 10:49

It would be interesting to know what size battery / what age and what you have switched on in the van.  In our Unicorn 2 Cadiz we had a 110 Ah battery, which I swapped over about every 6 weeks, as it was powering an alarm and tracker. However, even after 6 weeks, it was only down to 12.5 volts and that was without a solar panel. If it’s going flat in 4 weeks with added solar,  it would suggest more drain than just an alarm / tracker.

SPR1968 replied on 23/01/2022 11:47

Posted on 23/01/2022 10:49 by SteveL

It would be interesting to know what size battery / what age and what you have switched on in the van.  In our Unicorn 2 Cadiz we had a 110 Ah battery, which I swapped over about every 6 weeks, as it was powering an alarm and tracker. However, even after 6 weeks, it was only down to 12.5 volts and that was without a solar panel. If it’s going flat in 4 weeks with added solar,  it would suggest more drain than just an alarm / tracker.

Posted on 23/01/2022 11:47

It’s a 110 and a new battery, well September 2021 as the caravan was brand new

Im a new caravaner, so I couldn’t swear to the fact the 12v system was shut down properly. it is now so I’m checking it ever few weeks.

Has a tracker and alarm as well.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook