Frozen caravan water problems

Hedgehurst replied on 20/11/2016 10:28

Posted on 20/11/2016 10:28

Hi from Soggy Northampton.

Much advice on storing caravans in winter here, emptying all fluids etc, but here's our newbie query about using it in a freeze. The aquaroll lives, I believe, just outside. Do you get problems with the water freezing? Or other frozen fluids?

We're hoping to collect our first ever caravan quite soon, dependent on engineer check etc. As it's 2nd hand and doesn't have a long warranty ... (what's a usual warranty period with 2nd hand dealers, by the way?)... we'll need to take it for a test trip soon. Fine, extending the season is part of the planned move away from tents, but we hadn't necessarily intended our first trip to be in the depths of winter! If we  had a CDP at home it would be tempting to try it on the front drive, but would feel like cheating!

And cooking and breathing in it in the cold presumably creates more condesnsation, so do you need to give it a good ventilate when you get home?

Thanks for any help,

Richard.

watto64 replied on 12/02/2023 06:40

Posted on 11/02/2023 16:37 by P J Duffy

I stupidly delayed draining the water tank and toilet flush systems thinking I might be hesading off for a late trip in November. However, a significant and sudden drop in temperature before Christmas froze water in both systems and I couldn`t drain them obviously. Does anyone have advice how I can proceed and check for leaks as I need to do that before jeading off in a few weeks.

I have drained them now a few weeks ago but havent been able to test the systems out for any leaks or frost damage. 

Any advice or help gratefully received. I`m a club member. 

Posted on 12/02/2023 06:40

Assuming you have the pressurised system (most common), If you have developed a major leak then you may find your water pump will  be cycling on and off when the taps are closed as it will be trying to pressurise the system.

We found this out when the external feed pipe from the barrel had disconnected inside the whale external connector, the pump was quite happy running away as the pressure switch in the inlet gave a demand signal. Some of the water got inside the caravan through the poorly designed non-water tight connector housing in the caravan wall..

We always switch off the pump when away from the caravan when on site.

Hedgehurst replied on 22/03/2023 21:35

Posted on 22/03/2023 21:35

As someone said, "Blimey, where's this thread been hiding these years?!" 

I confess I've not just now read all the posts between, but am happy to report, after my original query, that we bought our caravan, it's still going strong, has been round Scotland, the Outer Hebrides, France, and hopes to  head to France again later this year. And the water system hasn't frozen yet, though I have been draining it down during frozen winters.

But I hope the other related questions which arose have been sorted!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook