Jacking up the caravan

AndyJF replied on 15/06/2022 22:33

Posted on 15/06/2022 22:33

I've recently acquired a spare wheel, so I've been looking into how you safely jack up a caravan. 

Important points I noted were that it should be hitched up when jacking it, and there are only certain points where a jack can be placed. Certainly not on the frame.

But I've seen products that attach to the chassis and allow a bottle jack to be used e.g. this

Is it even recommended to attempt this yourself, or should the AA be involved?

Tinwheeler replied on 29/11/2023 08:41

Posted on 29/11/2023 08:41

EM, the lifting is done by hydraulic rams, not the steadies. They still only come into play as steadies, albeit as part of the process.

DSB replied on 06/12/2023 14:32

Posted on 28/11/2023 16:58 by eribaMotters

What is E&P?

edit - I've just Googled it and I'm guessing it is the automatic levelling system.

This then made me think, if it's using corner steadies then these areas on a caravan are not really designed as lifting points, but levelling points. The website for EP Hydraulics does say you can use the system for changing a wheel, but that would concern me.

Colin

Posted on 06/12/2023 14:32

I'm pretty sure the E&P levelling system is designed to cope.  I think the main bit of the lifting is done by two central jacks which are attached to the chassis.  If you have the 'full system' fitted to the caravan they replace the cornersteadies and reinforce where they connect to the caravan.

My main concern about the E & P levelling system is .... the price!!!  🤣🤣

David

TonyBurton replied on 17/12/2023 21:51

Posted on 17/12/2023 21:51

It is some years ago now but Britannia Rescue came out and changed my caravan wheel without a problem, Fiddling around with a bottle jack beside the road is not for the faint hearted.. Also, have you checked to see if you can drop the spare wheel off the Al-Ko bracket under the caravan. It is nigh on impossible.

eribaMotters replied on 18/12/2023 13:12

Posted on 18/12/2023 13:12

The safest way to get the underslung spare is to unhitch the van and drop the front end. With rear steadies down it is then a lot easier and safer to retrieve it. Only problem this is you really should re-hitch the van to the car for extra stability when jacking the van up.

Colin

ocsid replied on 19/12/2023 13:17

Posted on 18/12/2023 13:12 by eribaMotters

The safest way to get the underslung spare is to unhitch the van and drop the front end. With rear steadies down it is then a lot easier and safer to retrieve it. Only problem this is you really should re-hitch the van to the car for extra stability when jacking the van up.

Colin

Posted on 19/12/2023 13:17

I simply use the tow car to haul one or other or even both wheels up on my levelling planks and sometimes blocks. 

This gains useful height to access the underslung spare if needed, but also compensates, and some, for the loss of ground clearance due to the "flat". That extra clearance helps jack access and reduces the lifting needed if when the flat is off the ground you move its planks away.

Plus of course the vehicle is hitched, so jacking is way more stable like that.

Rufs replied on 20/12/2023 14:51

Posted on 19/12/2023 13:17 by ocsid

I simply use the tow car to haul one or other or even both wheels up on my levelling planks and sometimes blocks. 

This gains useful height to access the underslung spare if needed, but also compensates, and some, for the loss of ground clearance due to the "flat". That extra clearance helps jack access and reduces the lifting needed if when the flat is off the ground you move its planks away.

Plus of course the vehicle is hitched, so jacking is way more stable like that.

Posted on 20/12/2023 14:51

I have been unfortunate in that i have twice had a blow out on the caravan, and i did exactly as you stay, i used the levelling blocks, I have a trolley jack and it makes it so much easier to get this under the axle especially as i have a mover fitted which makes it almost impossible to reach the axle from the front.

We once hand a caravan, Ellidis i think, where the spare wheel was in a well just inside the caravan door, so much easier to remove and store.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook