New arrival in middle of van conversion!

Dilby replied on 03/05/2022 11:54

Posted on 03/05/2022 11:54

Hi all - Hope this is the right place to post this, couldn't see a better alternative. I'm not new to this lifestyle, as my wife and I used to own a campervan a few years ago which we used on several trips around the UK. But last year like many others I've started converting my own campervan with a plan to use it for a combination of day trips (I live by Gower with easy access across welsh coast) and trips further afield, including into Europe. We both also work for ourselves so have more freedom than most and can also work from the van. However several weeks ago we got the surprise news we are expecting and I'm wondering realistically how that affects van life, and if there are any arrangements I should be making now. I know this is a vague question, but I really don't know what to expect. Only a few of my friends know so far, and some have joked that the van dream is over before it began while others think it can be even more rewarding but in other ways. Practically in terms of seating and sleeping layout i have a way of making it all work thankfully, but i'm wondering more about van life in general; are there things people can encourage me with to look forward to? I'm over the moon with the news, but as I toil away converting the van I do wonder if my effort is best used elsewhere! 

Thanks so much

EmilysDad replied on 03/05/2022 12:00

Posted on 03/05/2022 12:00

Can't help with the day to day of having a baby with you but congratulations on your news! Life will never be the same again. 😉😉

Amesford replied on 03/05/2022 12:42

Posted on 03/05/2022 12:42

I would also consider a pram conversion as well with the  amount of stuff we used to take for a day on the beach with our kids, but I feel sure it will enhance your time in the campervan

Bakers2 replied on 03/05/2022 18:51

Posted on 03/05/2022 18:51

Congratulations, so much to look forward to.

So long as you can accommodate a car seat and eventually a small bed, possibly using it to begin with as a base for a moses basket or similar. There are 'nets' available so you can stop a little one falling out.

Not motorhomed with a baby or a child, they'd flown the nest by the time we had one, but many do. They'll be lots of 'gear'needed by a little one but nothing too daunting. A pop up tent that you can put beside your van will be overflow on-site storage is my first suggestion, along with some boxes, on wheels?, to slide under the van too. 

Such exciting times. If you can convert a van you can adapt anything. Have a wander around motorhome/caravan sellers, assuming they have any stock and think what you can incorporate into your design. 

brue replied on 04/05/2022 11:46

Posted on 04/05/2022 11:46

My sister and BIL used to trundle off to France in an old campervan with their two boys, we all used it for get togethers, my BIL was master of the tea making on the tiny gas ring! I think they had a wonderful time and have lots of good memories. As the boys got older they took a tent for them. I also have friends who took their four children caravanning, no 1 child went with them from day one, then the next one, followed by twins! It can be done and it can be fun. smile

Looking ahead, if you do decide to take the family away look for sites with baby/toddler facilities (bathrooms etc.)

Best wishes to you all.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook