Nose weight

AndyJF replied on 15/06/2022 12:58

Posted on 15/06/2022 12:58

I got myself a nose weight measure. Interesting results. I just bought a spare wheel (steel) which I can store in the front locker compartment (there's a wheel mounting point).

Without wheel: 70kg
With wheel: 95kg

So the wheel adds on an additional 25kg, which sounds about right.

I've checked the nose weight specs for my car, and apparently the max is 100kg. BUT I've also read that it's advisable to tow with a higher weight (without exceeding the max), as it adds to the stability of the outfit. So I reckon 95kg is about on the mark. 

Any thoughts?

AndyJF replied on 15/06/2022 20:19

Posted on 15/06/2022 19:09 by commeyras

Spot on Andy.  Tow as close to the limit as possible and 95kg would be it in my book.

Posted on 15/06/2022 20:19

Thanks for the confirmation.

I had noticed a slight 'bumpy unstableness' (best way I can describe it) when driving along some roads. Would you say this is a symptom of a light nose? I might take it out for a test drive, now I've got the spare wheel loaded to see if there's a difference.

eribaMotters replied on 15/06/2022 22:05

Posted on 15/06/2022 22:05

The unstable feeling could be the car is light on the front wheels with the steering feeling out. It could be you are on the heavy side with your nose weight. The figures are a guide and you need to find what is best for your combination through practice, without exceeding the maximum figures for van and car.

Don't forget to up the tyre pressures in the car. Check oh thd door pillar/drivers door/fuel filler cap for figures. 

Colin

TonyIshUK replied on 22/06/2022 16:34

Posted on 22/06/2022 16:34

Some manufacturers are delightfully vague about towing nose weights.  There is usually no mention of rear axle loading on the car. Is an extra 100kg on the rear end with or without 3 kids, dog and extra camping gear ? Or just a light load with nothing in the back with the caravan steering the car.

To cite extreme example is Land rover " It'll pull 4.5 ton , Sir"  No mention that it would be most unwise to be doing that at 60mph on the M3, rather than in the yard.

Toyota in UK say you cannot tow with certain cars. however if you look at the same LHD model in Europe, you can tow with them.

You probably have seen the club recommendations for towing ratio car to caravan weight and nose weight to caravan weight ratios. 

Usually doing the sums comes up with the right answers, even if the results are not appreciated.

Rgds

Lutz replied on 22/06/2022 17:57

Posted on 22/06/2022 17:57

"Some manufacturers are delightfully vague about towing nose weights. There is usually no mention of rear axle loading on the car."

The maximum allowable rear axle load is always displayed on the car's statutory weight plate.

richardandros replied on 23/06/2022 07:56

Posted on 23/06/2022 07:56

I'd agree with eM about having the correct tyre pressures. Whilst I always aim to set the noseweight at about 95kg - a few weeks ago I left a site after forgetting to increase the tyre pressures and I noticed that the rig felt a bit wobbly on some roads whereas, it had never done so before. Plus there's quite a big difference between laden pressures and light load pressures on my car.

EmilysDad replied on 23/06/2022 09:43

Posted on 23/06/2022 07:56 by richardandros

I'd agree with eM about having the correct tyre pressures. Whilst I always aim to set the noseweight at about 95kg - a few weeks ago I left a site after forgetting to increase the tyre pressures and I noticed that the rig felt a bit wobbly on some roads whereas, it had never done so before. Plus there's quite a big difference between laden pressures and light load pressures on my car.

Posted on 23/06/2022 09:43

Whereas I leave my tyres as they are & have never had any wobbling issues. In the past I've increased them on a previous car & forgot to reduce them on a solo trip into town & the car was all over the place.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook