Petrol or Diesel engines motorhome?

PeterDL replied on 12/12/2022 16:26

Posted on 12/12/2022 16:26

Hi my motorhoming new friends.

when looking to buy a first motor home, is the choice of petrol or Diesel engine important? In the olden days it was generally accepted that larger cars and vans benefitted from a powerful Diesel engine.

is this the case for motor homes?

Graydjames replied on 04/01/2023 11:34

Posted on 04/01/2023 11:34

I think it remains the case that the only petrol options are on smaller campervans. 

Manufacturers moved to diesel pretty much exclusively as far as I can recall in the 1990s and this remains the case except for a few campervans. Aside from power, consumption was an issue with petrol. It tended to be in the low 20s (to the gallon), for motorhomes, whereas diesel tended to the upper 20s.

I am not 100% certain, but I think you'd not be able to find a petrol motor home; maybe a campervan.  

JVB66 replied on 04/01/2023 11:45

Posted on 04/01/2023 11:45

As the majority of conversions are on commercial based vehicles there is not IMHO the market for the base vehicle manufacturer to use petrol engines which do not give the mpg or longevity of a diesel

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook