Security measures

AndyJF replied on 15/06/2022 08:33

Posted on 15/06/2022 08:33

What security devices do you have on your van? There seem to be several types of lock and clamp, but I guess ultimately none of this will prevent theft by a determined and prepared thief. Just wondering how much to spend on security really, and what would be the most effective device to invest in.

eurortraveller replied on 15/06/2022 09:25

Posted on 15/06/2022 09:25

If you have the make and model of caravan which gets stolen, and if you store it in a place frequented by thieves, and if your insurance company insists on a full battery of security devices, and if you yourself tend to worry about theft…..then you will go for the maximum level of  protection. But I myself kept an Eriba in an open fronted shed in a rural location.and only fitted a simple hitchlock . So it all depends.

AndyJF replied on 15/06/2022 09:33

Posted on 15/06/2022 09:33

Well I'm just wondering what level of expense is needed. I can fit a variety of devices, such as hitchlock, wheel clamp, steady locks and towball lock. And there are varying degrees of cost. For instance you could spend £££'s on a Bulldog Titan wheel clamp, which is a substantial chunk of metal.

Just wondering really, what if anything, is most thief resistant.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/06/2022 10:16

Posted on 15/06/2022 10:16

If a thief wants it, a thief will take it.

Personally, I'd just go with whatever the insurance company dictates. Keeping your insurer happy is the best protection.

Williams1974 replied on 27/08/2022 12:11

Posted on 27/08/2022 12:11

We were wondering what you have to do to make your caravan safe. We had Hitchlock, wheel lock, tracker, that’s about as useful as a chocolate teapot, fairly secure storage, all to no avail. There must be something that can give better security. 

Cornersteady replied on 27/08/2022 12:25

Posted on 27/08/2022 12:11 by Williams1974

We were wondering what you have to do to make your caravan safe. We had Hitchlock, wheel lock, tracker, that’s about as useful as a chocolate teapot, fairly secure storage, all to no avail. There must be something that can give better security. 

Posted on 27/08/2022 12:25

We have hitch lock and wheel lock and use a gold storage site. People have also taken their wheels off and used winter wheels but then of course it's then also harder for one to go away quickly. There's also cornersteady locks (ouch) as well, and alarms.

The sad fact is that really all devices can be defeated if someone wants your outfit badly enough. All you can do is buy time for your outfit or make the thieves look at an easier target.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/08/2022 12:37

Posted on 27/08/2022 12:11 by Williams1974

Posted on 27/08/2022 12:37

There’s nothing more you can do other than, perhaps, have the hassle of winter wheels as Corners said.

I stand by my post of 15 June.

Oneputt replied on 27/08/2022 12:51

Posted on 27/08/2022 12:51

I have a wheel lock but have never used it.  My insurance company only specify’s one security device needs to be fitted when van isn’t occupied.  I watched a utube video of how easy it was to break a wheel lock with 2 hammers.  In the video is took a couple of minutes to remove all the security devices, hitch up and drive away

eribaMotters replied on 27/08/2022 18:46

Posted on 27/08/2022 18:46

I go with what my insurance company request, that is two security devices. In my case this means Alko hitch lock and a Nemesis wheel clamp or lock.

But what do insurance companies know? I recall hearing of a caravan owner being refused insurance cover as the van was not suitably protected.

It had two security devices fitted and was in a floodlit "safe" area. The area was his army base, armed guards on the gate 24-7, guard dog patrols, razor wire fence etc.

Colin

jennyc replied on 19/02/2023 05:49

Posted on 19/02/2023 05:49

We use a Nemesis wheel lock, an Alko hitch lock, the van’s own alarm and an aftermarket tracker. None of which will stop a determined thief. But there’s another factor to consider - the highest risks of theft are experienced by owners with large, twin axle, fairly new vans, some of which are costing over £40,000 new today. Pro thieves know how to cut through the hardened steel of locks with battery driven angle grinders. And they know where manufacturers hide alarms and trackers, but an aftermarket tracker is another matter when hidden in a unique location known only to you. Even then, moving your van to a shielded location such as a steel clad barn is likely to block your tracker signal. I know of someone who’s twin axle van was stolen from storage by cutting through an Armco fence, plus the rest of its security. Best of all, make sure that the adjacent van is more desirable than yours.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook