Take a visually impaired person

kyle1987 replied on 30/06/2022 14:49

Posted on 30/06/2022 14:49

Hi all i am going on our first trip in the next week however i have a blind (VIP) wife anyone have any advice on back into a pitch (no motor mover yet) and pitching up 

richardandros replied on 03/07/2022 06:50

Posted on 03/07/2022 06:50

I have to smile at this - in terms of helping people.  Whilst we were away, recently, at the Charmouth C&CC site, an elderly couple arrived (and I'm 72 - so not sure about the definition of 'elderly'!) - in a small Knaus caravan. There was an affinity there straight-away.  However, it was soon obvious that his motor mover wouldn't work and he was struggling to get the van onto his pitch. He was yelling and screaming at his wife and chucking things around so it was obvious he was having a bad day.  I went over to him and offered to help and I can't print on here what he actually said, but basically, he told me to go away and mind my own business.  Duly admonished, I came back to the van and watched as he put the van back on his car and started to reverse - with his jockey wheel down. Quick as a flash - and ever helpful, I dashed over to him - pointed out what he was doing and the fact that he was about to rip his jockey wheel off. Yet another tirade of unprintable abuse and this time I came back and left him to it.

He then had a go at our neighbours who also offered to help.

In fairness, he did come over later and apologise - half-heartedly - but it was his wife we felt sorry for. It won't stop me helping others in the future but it did make me think "there's now't as queer as folk"smile

JVB66 replied on 03/07/2022 07:15

Posted on 03/07/2022 06:50 by richardandros

I have to smile at this - in terms of helping people.  Whilst we were away, recently, at the Charmouth C&CC site, an elderly couple arrived (and I'm 72 - so not sure about the definition of 'elderly'!) - in a small Knaus caravan. There was an affinity there straight-away.  However, it was soon obvious that his motor mover wouldn't work and he was struggling to get the van onto his pitch. He was yelling and screaming at his wife and chucking things around so it was obvious he was having a bad day.  I went over to him and offered to help and I can't print on here what he actually said, but basically, he told me to go away and mind my own business.  Duly admonished, I came back to the van and watched as he put the van back on his car and started to reverse - with his jockey wheel down. Quick as a flash - and ever helpful, I dashed over to him - pointed out what he was doing and the fact that he was about to rip his jockey wheel off. Yet another tirade of unprintable abuse and this time I came back and left him to it.

He then had a go at our neighbours who also offered to help.

In fairness, he did come over later and apologise - half-heartedly - but it was his wife we felt sorry for. It won't stop me helping others in the future but it did make me think "there's now't as queer as folk"smile

Posted on 03/07/2022 07:15

As I posted ,it does make one wonder do I or don't I try to give assistance wink 

Some years ago we were with some friends at Strid Wood site when a couple arrived  and were having problems getting on their chosen pitch ,it was as if a whistle had been. blown,as about Six of us all appeared at the same time to give assistance 

DEBSC replied on 03/07/2022 12:00

Posted on 03/07/2022 12:00

Always remember once on site years ago, we had a new awning and were having a bit of difficulty putting it up. We would have worked it out in time and were probably best left to work it out for ourselves. Anyway the chap opposite came over and offered his help, we thanked him but said it was fine, he insisted but it soon became clear that he had less idea than us. Anyway we finally got it together, he then thanked us profusely for letting him help, turned out he had fallen out with his wife and wanted to get out of her way. An hour later wife came over and thanked us for keeping her husband busy and out of her way, she then went on to moan about him a lot. We never saw them together for the rest of the holiday, only going out separately, don’t think they were a happy couple. So, if you let someone help you might even be doing them a favour.

TobyLeeds replied on 03/07/2022 16:58

Posted on 03/07/2022 16:58

I can only say that on helping a man in a similar position reverse onto the pitch he returned next day with a bottle of wine and profuse thanks saying no one ever came to his aid. Members preferred to hide in their vans and watch his repeated attempts to square up to the marker.

JVB66 replied on 03/07/2022 17:50

Posted on 03/07/2022 16:58 by TobyLeeds

I can only say that on helping a man in a similar position reverse onto the pitch he returned next day with a bottle of wine and profuse thanks saying no one ever came to his aid. Members preferred to hide in their vans and watch his repeated attempts to square up to the marker.

Posted on 03/07/2022 17:50

Was it a CL?cool

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook