Traveling to France by Ferry

ScreenName009DE1860A replied on 01/11/2023 11:42

Posted on 01/11/2023 11:42

Hi everyone, I have just booked my first European trip for my family in our caravan for Aug 24, we have chosen an overnight ferry crossing to Caen which gets us into port for around 0700hrs. Our site, Chambres d'Hôtes Château de Martragny, is only 30-45 minutes drive from the port however, access onto the site is not until early afternoon.

Does anyone have any advice on where a car and caravan can park up to await the entrance time?

Do French supermarkets allow for this?

Looking forward to hearing your advice and tips.

Regards

Shaun

eurortraveller replied on 19/04/2024 19:47

Posted on 19/04/2024 19:47

Gez, my understanding is that the Club can still book single nights for members at Camping Riva Bella in April, May, June and September,  even though the campsite itself will ask for a two night minimum. The Club will, if asked, alert that campsite if you are arriving up to 2300 at night .But speak to Club staff to check. 

However I am not up to date with the condition of that campsite, and have to say that of all the 8 routes fromUK to France which I  have used the timing of the 3 daily sailings on the Portsmouth- Caen route are the ones I liked least.  The timings in and out on that route just don’t suit me at all.- especially a 2300 arrival. But I realise you may not wish to change. 

Good wishes. I hope you get it sorted.

commeyras replied on 24/04/2024 11:26

Posted on 24/04/2024 11:26

Riva Bella is very convenient for the port.  We have used it in the past and found that they stay open for the late ferry.  Best to book as there is usually a queue at reception for none bookers!  The site has been improved recently but we would only use it for a one night stop.

ScreenName009DE1860A replied on 29/04/2024 08:39

Posted on 29/04/2024 08:39

Thanks for all of the advice, the campsite has come back and informed us we can pull up on the long drive in and await out pitch time.

Regards

Shaun

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook