Truma Gas level control monitor

Neilpr58 replied on 22/06/2021 20:33

Posted on 22/06/2021 20:33

Being new to this, had our Benimar for a couple of months now, I'm looking at this unit and wondering:

a) Do they work

b) Is it any better than the old hot water trick and 

c) if you have one how do you stop yourself forgetting and lossing the unit by leaving it on a bottle when you change it.

Any experiance from anyone who has one would be appreciated.

young thomas replied on 27/06/2021 10:54

Posted on 26/06/2021 16:23 by Neilpr58

I like the idea of the safefill but heard people say it's difficult to find places that let you fill up is that so?

Posted on 27/06/2021 10:54

hence my suggestion to carry one refillable and one exchange bottle...

best of both worlds, there will always be one sort available...

...a Calor in the UK....and even abroad, you can supplement the (usually available) refillable with a French or Spanish bottle.

hitchglitch replied on 27/06/2021 21:01

Posted on 27/06/2021 21:01

I know it doesn’t answer the question but I get wound up thinking about those horrible Calor steel cylinders. BP Light (now Gaslight and sold by Homebase) do an excellent cylinder that is lightweight, transparent, has a clip-on regulator and an excellent carry handle. Very simple to see how much gas is left. They are still popular in the Netherlands but there are other transparent lightweight cylinders sold in France. How do Calor survive with such an obviously inferior product? If Safefill can do a light, refillable, transparent  cylinder why are Calor still in the dark ages using gas lights?

Neilpr58 replied on 28/06/2021 10:05

Posted on 27/06/2021 21:01 by hitchglitch

I know it doesn’t answer the question but I get wound up thinking about those horrible Calor steel cylinders. BP Light (now Gaslight and sold by Homebase) do an excellent cylinder that is lightweight, transparent, has a clip-on regulator and an excellent carry handle. Very simple to see how much gas is left. They are still popular in the Netherlands but there are other transparent lightweight cylinders sold in France. How do Calor survive with such an obviously inferior product? If Safefill can do a light, refillable, transparent  cylinder why are Calor still in the dark ages using gas lights?

Posted on 28/06/2021 10:05

With the Gaslight do I need to change the regulator ( mine is fixed to back of gas cupboard) with screw connection onto the cylinder?

hitchglitch replied on 28/06/2021 14:27

Posted on 28/06/2021 10:05 by Neilpr58

With the Gaslight do I need to change the regulator ( mine is fixed to back of gas cupboard) with screw connection onto the cylinder?

Posted on 28/06/2021 14:27

I believe that you keep the regulator but will need a HP “tail” with a 27mm snap-on connector. Suggest you check availability of Gaslight before doing the modification.

harry1000 replied on 01/09/2021 14:37

Posted on 27/06/2021 21:01 by hitchglitch

Posted on 01/09/2021 14:37

I bought into BP Gaslight about 8 years ago - yes they are light and you can see how much gas you have and yes, at the time I bought into them, they were even cheaper than Calor, but not now.... They are way over charging their customers.

The usual 10Kg exchange price is £50 from many sources, like Homebase. You can get them a little cheaper from HomeBargains, £45 at the moment. Once BP they became MacGas and now FlowGas. 

If we used a little more gas per year than we do, I would be looking to swap to the Safefill system, which uses an identical plastic bottle, but with the 80% fill limiter built in. 

harry1000 replied on 01/09/2021 14:59

Posted on 28/06/2021 10:05 by Neilpr58

Posted on 01/09/2021 14:59

No, the bulkhead regulators are a compromise in pressure between propane and butane. All that needs to be done is to swap the adaptor on the end of the thick high pressure to suit the cylinder you want to use - in this case a Gaslight 27mm clip on adaptor.

The old way way to have a combined regulator and bottle adaptor as one item, where you had to change the whole unit for a different adaptor/regulator. 

Lyke Wake Man replied on 06/01/2022 14:30

Posted on 06/01/2022 14:30

the problem with them is they only work on a steel bottle

we have the plastic safefill and we have a gauge that screws on the propane bottle, then your pigtail screws into the gauge, watch the gauge as it changes from green to yellow, yellow to red

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook