Water questions

Outdoorrambo replied on 06/06/2022 04:52

Posted on 06/06/2022 04:52

New to Motorhome so excuse my ignorance (purchased an Auto-trail Mohawk 2012 model).

Re the 100 litre water tank, assuming we don't use too much water then how often do you think this should be drained down and refilled if MH is not used often so it is still safe to drink?

Toilet flush, can't seem to find if this model has a separate water flush fill system that i can add the flush pink chemical that came with the MH to...  or is it a case of diluting this and just spraying the bowl?

Toilet cassette, once the blue chemical is added then how much water do i add into the cassette, i can only find pointers to 'add the required amount of water' whatever that is?

Thanks in advance

Pete.

Graydjames replied on 07/06/2022 09:01

Posted on 07/06/2022 09:01

Kasspa wrote:

"I also use the pink stuff in diluted form to spray/wipe the bowl & probably add up to a litre of water to the 'blue stuff' (I'm sure the instructions say 3!!!)"

Yes, I think you're right about this. I was going to make a similar comment, but I couldn't remember how much was recommended, but I knew it was more than seemed to me sensible. I used to follow the guidance, but stopped years ago and now put just a drop in to allow the blue stuff to swill around.

Thornsett replied on 07/06/2022 17:32

Posted on 07/06/2022 17:32

Hymer recommend that the fresh water should be changed every 4 days, more often if the source of the fresh water is doubtful. My Swift dealer of yore also said this. And my sister, who is a biologist, says the same.. We've become accustomed to only putting c4 days fresh water in the tank, topping up as necessary, and draining the tank when we come home or to refresh water which is 4 days old. We also use a food grade hose or container to add water.

Whether you follow our regime is up to you. I doubt you will die from tainted water but you might have a dicky stomach at some time. We drink the water 'straight from the tank'. Do what suits you.

According to Thetford, diluting the ordinary pink stuff and using it as a spray can be mildly poisonous in the air - my missus found it so. We stopped this practice and just use the toilet bowl cleaner from Thetford. The think the pink stuff is OK to add to water in the bowl.

If you have a Thetford toilet cassette you should be able to find a manual for your toilet cassette. Thetford recommend c3 litre for my cassette.

We all learn in time and find a way of working that suits so enjoy the trip!

LLM replied on 07/06/2022 20:07

Posted on 07/06/2022 20:07

The advice from the UK water quality regulator is:

"Although properly stored public-supply water should have an indefinite shelf life, replace it every 6 to 12 months for best taste. If the water you are storing comes from a private well, spring, or other untested source, purify it before storage to kill pathogens".

nelliethehooker replied on 07/06/2022 20:51

Posted on 07/06/2022 20:51

Instead of the pink I now add a small amount of scented Zolfora to the flush tank, and also keep an old spray bottle with a very diluted mix of water and Zolflora in the toilet compartment to spray on the bowl after use.

ABM replied on 08/06/2022 11:05

Posted on 08/06/2022 11:05

I am in agreement with young Nellie about the use of Zoflora - there are different versions with various scents.smile

As for the 'Blue Stuff' or 'Green Stuff' many of us have changed from the fluid to the squishy plastic type since its much less messy - just ensure your hands are dry when .using them !!surprised

I have to say I find it strange that I am the first to recommend using AQUASOL or PURICLEAN for tank sterilisation after draining down at the end of the season or if the van is not used for a lengthy period.  The containers of these items have the instructions for use printed on them.  I have used them from the early days of tenting right up to last week !!  I'm still here to verify their efficacy  innocent.  They are available from the goodies area of Caravan / motorhome dealers normally !

P.S.  I don't drink from the water tank ~~ I always use a cup or glass !!  Seriously if the instructions are carried out there should be no problems caused by drinking the water boiled for hot drinks etc or straight from the tap for cold drinks, tooth cleaning etc 

Takethedogalong replied on 08/06/2022 14:33

Posted on 08/06/2022 14:33

How different we all are😁

We don’t use expensive chemicals in loo, just a couple of Bio Wash pods and a tiny amount of water each dump and Fill. Zoflora spray to keep bowl fresh, we empty daily, or alternate days.

We do drink from tank, it’s filled up as and when from drinking water standard taps, we simply top up at home if we are out within a week again. We only drain down everything if frost likely, remembering to leave taps open.

Waste water? We always use a wash up bowl, so grease and any solids don’t get into waste tank. If on a CL that allows it, we pipe into hedgerow, if not, we use a folding bucket and empty daily if we can. If we have to store waste water, we empty and then put a wash bowl full of dilute Zoflora down to swill around and clean up things as we motor along, then empty as soon as we can. Tanks are purified each year, depending on usage.

GrahamS1 replied on 10/06/2022 22:02

Posted on 10/06/2022 22:02

I always drain the water before travelling, less weight to carry around. Remember 1L is 1kg extra weight

cyberyacht replied on 21/06/2022 06:46

Posted on 21/06/2022 06:46

The only time I drain down my tank/water system is in the winter. Certainly not between trips. Water system gets sterilised in the Spring and I've always drunk from the taps. Well, not strictly true, I do use a glass. Neither sterilised nor drained the water tank on my yacht and haven't had cholera yet.

SteveL replied on 21/06/2022 11:32

Posted on 10/06/2022 22:02 by GrahamS1

I always drain the water before travelling, less weight to carry around. Remember 1L is 1kg extra weight

Posted on 21/06/2022 11:32

That’s perhaps OK if stopping in one place for a bit, but a bit of a pain if you move on every few days and often after only a night. We only travel with Hymers  recommended 20 litres, therefore we are not lugging a significant weight and it does mean you can fill the kettle and flush the loo on route.

cyberyacht replied on 21/06/2022 16:30

Posted on 21/06/2022 16:30

I top up at every opportunity. During our month long trip round France we came across two aires where the borne was 'hors de combat' and no fresh water available. Happiness is a full tank.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook