Weight distribution

Ron1953 replied on 19/04/2022 07:18

Posted on 19/04/2022 07:18

Hi all,

If the nose weight of my caravan is between the recommended 5% to 7% does that also mean the caravan is correctly balanced.

Thanks

Lutz replied on 13/06/2022 16:55

Posted on 13/06/2022 16:00 by JohnM20

The maximum load on my caravan's Alko hitch is 100kg and 7% of the MTPLM is 94.5kg. The maximum load on my towbar is 90kg and I load the caravan to achieve about 87 / 88kg. I'm assuming that the maximum loads of both the car and caravan are static loads and there will be a safety margin to allow for the dynamic loads caused by pitching of the caravan (not pitching on site) on Britain's super smooth roads surprised. After 7 years of both our current car and caravan this seems to be right as I sometimes almost (but not quite) forget that I have a caravan in tow behind me.

Posted on 13/06/2022 16:55

There is little point in allowing for dynamic loads as these will be up to ten times the static load, but this will have been taken into account when the manufacturers specific their static limits.

eribaMotters replied on 13/06/2022 21:03

Posted on 13/06/2022 21:03

NutsyH, the % is only a guide. It is a useful starting point and no more than that. As mentioned above we must not exceed max hitch or towbar limit. A mathematician would be technical and tell us we should be looking at moments of force and axle to hitch distance. Foreign vans traditionally had a longer drawbar and as such axle to hitch measurement. This meant hitch loads could be less, ie a lower % and still offer a stable tow. We all have to experiment and then make a note what works for our individual situation. 

Colin

NutsyH replied on 14/06/2022 08:39

Posted on 13/06/2022 21:03 by eribaMotters

NutsyH, the % is only a guide. It is a useful starting point and no more than that. As mentioned above we must not exceed max hitch or towbar limit. A mathematician would be technical and tell us we should be looking at moments of force and axle to hitch distance. Foreign vans traditionally had a longer drawbar and as such axle to hitch measurement. This meant hitch loads could be less, ie a lower % and still offer a stable tow. We all have to experiment and then make a note what works for our individual situation. 

Colin

Posted on 14/06/2022 08:39

EribaM - Yes, I know they are only guidelines but as I said can be confusing for newbies - as per the original post here.

Lutz replied on 14/06/2022 13:53

Posted on 14/06/2022 08:39 by NutsyH

EribaM - Yes, I know they are only guidelines but as I said can be confusing for newbies - as per the original post here.

Posted on 14/06/2022 13:53

The 5% to 7% recommendation originated at a time when there were no plated limits and therefore nothing better to go by. Now that we have plated limits it would be appropriate to drop the recommendation as it stands and simply advise to stay as close as reasonably possible to the plated limits without exceeding them.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook