Weight restrictions in Europe

SteveLaw replied on 16/05/2022 20:45

Posted on 16/05/2022 20:45

Hi, we are getting our first motorhome next week and really looking forward to it. The MTPLM for the van we are getting has been rated in 2022 as 3650kg (in previous years it was 3500kg). It's a 4 berth van but only myself and my wife will be using it, we're not putting bikes on or anything like that and I think it is unlikely that we will ever get close to this figure. However it is still rated at 3650kg. Does that rating bring with it any restrictions whilst touring in Europe e.g. speed, being able to use certain roads, being able to drive through villages etc? Or is it what your actual weight is?

Kasspa replied on 21/05/2022 22:47

Posted on 21/05/2022 22:47

Not sure if this is of any help but my Benimar has 2 ratings plates.

1st is from the manufacturer Fiat stating 3650 which would be the maximum for it's chassis, the 2nd is the coach builder Benimar who have rated it as 3500 which could be increased to 3650 if I wanted to increase payload.

This would then require the C1 licence.

What you put in it would be dependent on your payload which is the difference between whatever it is rated at less the unladen weight.

I'm sure anything over 3500 will have further speed restrictions & will affect what you pay for tolls in Europe.

Speed limits in the UK for motor homes are based on an unladen weight of either less than or more than 3.05 tonnes.... see link below

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

I stand to be corrected from more experienced members, however!

Tinwheeler replied on 21/05/2022 23:06

Posted on 21/05/2022 23:06

In the UK it is the plated weight which matters and I assume it is the same in Euroland.

It may be possible to downplate the GVW of the van but that will obviously have consequences for your payload.

Kasspa is correct in stating it is 3.05t unladen for road laws in the UK (but 3.5t laden for driving licence entitlement).

SteveLaw replied on 27/05/2022 17:56

Posted on 27/05/2022 17:56

Thank you Kasspa and Tinwheeler. I'm going to leave it as it is for the moment but will consider downplaying before I am 70 (but that is only 16 months away) so will probably look to do it early next year.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook