An appeal to Safefill users - and others!

Merve replied on 14/08/2018 20:08

Posted on 14/08/2018 20:08

I do not wish this thread to deteriorate into a debate about Safefill Cylinders and the whys and wherefores of various other makes. This is not a promotion of any product.  So please, if you are not a Safefill User, (unless you wish to assist your fellow campers, Motorhomers and caravanners which would be very welcome!) do not comment. This thread is about the effort by the ‘Leisure public’ who use Safefill cylinders to increase the chances of more fill points which can only be a positive move. Morrisons moved to facilitate Safefill after I suggested we all write to them and ask about filling a perfectly legal cylinder. People power does work and it can be a powerful force when applied. Can anyone who uses, or is about to purchase a Safefill, or would like to see fill points open up nearer to them or just simply wants to help their fellow caravanners-  please take 5 minutes to email the following Service Station Groups about filling Safefill cylinders now that the Red Guide has been amended to encompass them and Morrisons have allowed their filling.  You will get the details from the web.  I have only chosen 2 at the moment- more will follow. If we do this as a group, we can change minds as we did with Morrisons. The first is Penny Petroleum which is based in the north of England and has 42 sites I believe. They are on Twitter so that’s another way of contacting them and applying gentle pressure! The second and much larger concern is Euro Garages Group. Please help. Safefill are too small to get out there and visit everyone but they are doing their best I can assure you. Can you please post when you have sent your communication and  any results you receive to the thread Thank you so much . We need those fill points! 

KjellNN replied on 15/08/2018 21:32

Posted on 15/08/2018 21:13 by Cornersteady

Here's an interesting point.

There are 550000 caravans and 250000 MH at present. I can't see many caravans converting to safefill due to the problem of filling up while towing, easy on Motorways but not so easy to impossible at the Morrsions I use. So lets say a 100,000 covert. Assume all the MH convert to safefill, that's a total of 350,000. Now assume they all fill up their 6Kg once a year.

That's 350,000 x 6 = 2,100,000 kg. Now I have just seen that 1 kg of propane = just under 2 litres volume, say 2 litres.

So that's 4,200,000 litres at 40p per litre =  £1,680,000

Divide that by the current number of petrol stations in the UK - 8000

That mean each petrol station will make a very tidy sum of £210 per year. I wonder what the profit if on Safefill, and if you take into account the installation costs, will it be worth it to have safefill at every station? 

Don't forget that's assuming every single MH goes to safefill (other brands are available)

Posted on 15/08/2018 21:32

Do you never fill fuel in your car while towing?

I cannot say we find it a problem.

However, the whole point of Safefill is that it is a removable refillable, so no need to take the caravan to the filling point, just stick the cylinder in the car.

We do not have Safefill, we have Gaslow, which similarly is refillable, and they have both systems, removable and fixed.  We have fixed, and have not had a problem with finding or accessing a place to refill en route between sites.

replied on 15/08/2018 21:48

Posted on 15/08/2018 21:13 by Cornersteady

Here's an interesting point.

There are 550000 caravans and 250000 MH at present. I can't see many caravans converting to safefill due to the problem of filling up while towing, easy on Motorways but not so easy to impossible at the Morrsions I use. So lets say a 100,000 covert. Assume all the MH convert to safefill, that's a total of 350,000. Now assume they all fill up their 6Kg once a year.

That's 350,000 x 6 = 2,100,000 kg. Now I have just seen that 1 kg of propane = just under 2 litres volume, say 2 litres.

So that's 4,200,000 litres at 40p per litre =  £1,680,000

Divide that by the current number of petrol stations in the UK - 8000

That mean each petrol station will make a very tidy sum of £210 per year. I wonder what the profit if on Safefill, and if you take into account the installation costs, will it be worth it to have safefill at every station? 

Don't forget that's assuming every single MH goes to safefill (other brands are available)

Posted on 15/08/2018 21:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 15/08/2018 22:29

Posted on 15/08/2018 21:32 by KjellNN

Do you never fill fuel in your car while towing?

I cannot say we find it a problem.

However, the whole point of Safefill is that it is a removable refillable, so no need to take the caravan to the filling point, just stick the cylinder in the car.

We do not have Safefill, we have Gaslow, which similarly is refillable, and they have both systems, removable and fixed.  We have fixed, and have not had a problem with finding or accessing a place to refill en route between sites.

Posted on 15/08/2018 22:29

No I have never filled my car while towing, we always have a full tank when we leave and after stopping for the night we fill up again usually at the cheapest place I can find which is usually a supermarket. Our local Morrsions I think it would be impossible to fill up while towing and you have to curve around to get to the exit.

I always think it best to have as much fuel as possible when towing just in case. I remember being told the only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire admittedly that was flying rather than towing

If you're take the gas bottle to the petrol station that's just the same as taking it to a Calor outlet. Anyway I've never done that either as we always swop it on a club site or at a service.

Cornersteady replied on 15/08/2018 22:31

Posted on 15/08/2018 21:48 by

I think that one of your assumptions is extremely generous CS.  The vast majority of MHers will never use removable cylinders; they will use installed (fixed) refillables as they have been doing for many years.   

Posted on 15/08/2018 22:31

yes I think you are right, I always overestimate just to be safe

KjellNN replied on 15/08/2018 22:44

Posted on 15/08/2018 22:44

We generally do similar, but on a longer trip we sometimes need to top up en route to make sure we reach our destination. The Tesco  just off J43 on the M6 at Carlisle is one we use frequently.

Not sure I understand the point you are making in your last paragraph, but the main difference would be that a 6 kg refill would cost you about  £7.50, not the approx. £25 for a Calor.

The price of LPG is way more than 40ppl, usually 55p+.

For someone who uses as little gas as you do, there is no point in having a refillable, but for those of us who get through the equivalent of several 6kg cylinders every year, there are big savings to be made.

Safefill, as you said, is only one make of refillable cylinder, there are several others, but they are all filled in the same manner.

EmilysDad replied on 16/08/2018 08:45

Posted on 16/08/2018 08:45

@ Corners ... Anyway I've never done that either as we always swop it on a club site or at a service.

I've never done either innocent

Cornersteady replied on 16/08/2018 09:07

Posted on 15/08/2018 22:44 by KjellNN

We generally do similar, but on a longer trip we sometimes need to top up en route to make sure we reach our destination. The Tesco  just off J43 on the M6 at Carlisle is one we use frequently.

Not sure I understand the point you are making in your last paragraph, but the main difference would be that a 6 kg refill would cost you about  £7.50, not the approx. £25 for a Calor.

The price of LPG is way more than 40ppl, usually 55p+.

For someone who uses as little gas as you do, there is no point in having a refillable, but for those of us who get through the equivalent of several 6kg cylinders every year, there are big savings to be made.

Safefill, as you said, is only one make of refillable cylinder, there are several others, but they are all filled in the same manner.

Posted on 16/08/2018 09:07

OK that's £288.75 per petrol station then per year or over £5 per week. I wonder how much they can make on take away coffee in comparison?

I couldn't find any figures but some interesting quotes:

FIVE YEARS AGO it was hard to find a petrol station selling espresso, now coffee is more important than oil or petrol to some filling stations.

That’s according to Applegreen chief operations officer Joe Barrett who said coffee is now the “most important product we sell”.

“It’s way more important than oil. Coffee is a key, an important part of our sector and that’s really where profit is. Internally we call it ‘black gold’.”

and:

Push-button coffee machines making €1m a year in busy service stations

So if you were running a petrol station which one would you choose, Safefill or coffee?  mmm difficult decision!

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 16/08/2018 09:12

Posted on 16/08/2018 08:45 by EmilysDad

@ Corners ... Anyway I've never done that either as we always swop it on a club site or at a service.

I've never done either innocent

Posted on 16/08/2018 09:12

MM, like most things you’ll find instructions somewhere-try online, I’m sure you’ve done that😜😜😂

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook