C/van Insurane - Performance Direct - Grove & Dean

eribaMotters replied on 04/02/2023 18:04

Posted on 04/02/2023 18:04

It's that time of year again so I've looked at the usual providers, that to me include Lifesure, Cover4Caravans, Ripe and Saga as in the past they have been very competitive and have good reviews. All are about £240 for a total cover of £23,500 replacement, Legal, European Cover, 2 security devices, total x/s of £250, stored on the drive etc. Sorry but the excellent C&MC is twice as expensive.

Having a look on GoCompare I've just come across a real curve ball as two quotes came up at £137.90, Performance Direct along with Grove and Dean. They are both the same company and I discounted them as I did not recognise the name. I've just clicked on them and read up. they are underwritten by Aviva, include Legal Protection and European Cover.Reviews are high 4. something and the only negative reviews I can find generally seem to be from high performance/modified car owners. The only difference I can notice is repatriation from out of UK is not included. This does not worry me as I use Red Pennant.

Does anybody have experience of this company?

Thanks - Colin

eribaMotters replied on 04/02/2023 22:30

Posted on 04/02/2023 22:30

Who has edited my post title?

It was Caravan Ins' ... and is now C/van Insurane ...

I thought my spelling was poor.

Colin

replied on 05/02/2023 17:21

Posted on 05/02/2023 17:21

I can't comment on the company's mentions but I can pass on my own recent caravan insurance related experience.  We had our 3 year old Bailey Valencia caravan stolen from a locked storage site we've used for many years. The rural storage site could not be seen from the road with the entrance secured by a large set of metal gates and, a steel barrier with a substantial lock. The thrives smashed the lock, overcame the caravan alarm, removed the tracker, crowbared the Ak-Ko hitch lock and removed the Al-Ko wheel lock by using a thermal lance. The Caravan Club Insurance came to our rescue,  replacing the caravan with a brand new Bailey Vigo and providing sufficient funds to replace all caravan related equipment stolen. My point I guess is that you can have all the caravan security gadgets you can buy BUT, the best caravan security is your insurance policy and insurance company. The new caravan has of course been inured with the caravan club once again. The club insurance maybe considered a bit  more expensive but for us it was money well spent. Choose wisely!

eribaMotters replied on 05/02/2023 19:56

Posted on 05/02/2023 19:56

One of the things your story highlights is how a thief will bypass your security measures, no matter what you put in there way. This has to make you ask why do insurance companies demand so much of us.

What is in my favour is the make and style of my caravan, an Eriba pop-top. They are an acquired taste and have a bit of a cult [saddo] following. I've owned them since 2003 and been active on the two forums, one since it's inception and the other of which one I'm an moderator. On these and the fairly recent Facebook platform I am aware of only one theft in 20 years, and that was in France.

I am by nature averse to risk, over plan and generally OCD, but I also do not like paying more than what I should for similar products. The C&MC policy on the replacement value is nearly 4 times more expensive than Grove & Dean on a like for like basis. How this can be is totally beyond me.

It is nice to hear that you had a good outcome from what must have been a sickening experience. The C&MC have always had a good record for the caravan policies they provide although some recent reports filtering through have not been glowing. Thank goodness this side of the insurance provision is better than the 3 star service reports you will find if you search for the car insurance they provide.

Colin

Wherenext replied on 06/02/2023 16:17

Posted on 06/02/2023 16:17

Insurance companies are not adverse to having several bows to their strings all dealing in the same marketplace. This allows them to "experiment" with T&Cs and price to maybe attract a certain clientele. Sometimes they allow a broker to run a scheme in their own name. As long as all companies are registered with AIB or the equivalent of their holding insurer there shouldn't be a problem.

I have recently changed motor insurers from General Accident to Aviva. The G.A. was acquired by Norwich Union, which soon changed its name to Aviva, just over 20 years ago. The saving was significant and terms such as excess much better. The actuaries of insurers are a law unto themselves.

From a claim point of view I have to say that Saga were excellent with a claim we made 4 year ago so have just renewed with them without looking elsewhere.

The final decision will be yours Colin. 

eribaMotters replied on 06/02/2023 19:15

Posted on 06/02/2023 19:15

It looks like it will be Grove & Dean. I did have another go at working through the club website for a price. On the replacement value they are only 3x the cost at just under £500. On a new for old basis the difference was so far out it is embarrassing. £850 as opposed to £165. I know the £165 is VERY low for a £29K premium but how the club can be so far adrift makes you wonder what is going on.

With about 400,000 "captive" members you really would think they could be more competitive.

Colin

allanandjean replied on 06/02/2023 19:37

Posted on 06/02/2023 19:37

Hi Colin, The caravan insurance is now dipped for renewal and the figures you have mentioned are appeal-only trouble is that I can’t see caravan inson the G&D website??

allanandjean replied on 07/02/2023 08:00

Posted on 07/02/2023 08:00

Hi Colin, Thanks for that.

Just tried an online quote, but need to call them.
Having seen a few posts talking of large increases I was not surprised when my quote, from Cover4, had gone up-but was not prepared for a rise of over 200% from £217 to £459!

I have been with them for several years, and always called after getting alternative quotes, so after doing this called yesterday to be told that due to the “massive increase in LV related claims” there was no possibility of reducing the premium.

At the moment Ripe are looking most likely but still looking.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook