Easy way to cut costs

Vantagemed replied on 30/05/2022 13:26

Posted on 30/05/2022 13:26

I've found a device which will cut costs on any motorhome or towing vehicle.  Very easy to use and does not need fitting.  It's the Right Foot.  Simply by driving with a lighter right foot has cut the fuel consumption in my Fiat van conversion motorhome by around twenty-five percent and also cut driving stress.   Results are good on all kinds of roads, but especially good on motorways.  The van's been doing about thirty per cent better by dropping motorway cruising speed from around seventy to between fifty and sixty - and the driving has been much more enjoyable.

Also have found that by being a little more gentle on the throttle around town (but not cutting actual driving speed) I'm getting much better fuel economy.

Works well for the newish diesel Fiat van in Blighty and the little oldish Honda petrol van in Japan.  The Japan van both runs around Tokyo and regularly goes to the Alpine regions not too far away.  The lighter right foot seems to save fuel everywhere, and at today's prices that's no bad thing ...

aka dino replied on 18/09/2022 12:48

Posted on 18/09/2022 12:48

As a professional driver, I can add that a great deal of training goes on within the industry to achieve fuel efficient driving. It is claimed within the haulage industry that careful and considered driving can save up to 17% on fuel as well as reducing wear and tear on the vehicle. In fact, most trucks now have an uploadable data/telemetry system that monitors the driver's performance and sends it to the office for scrutiny. Some very simple tricks can also work for the car driver. Anticipation is key, look much further down the road and anticipate halts, traffic lights etc. Start to come off of the gas early and allow the vehicles momentum to do the work for you, stay off of the brakes! Accelerate gently, change gear at the appropriate revs instead of over-revving in each gear, a fault of many drivers. Come off of the gas on downhill runs, let gravity do the job for you, it is free! Cruise at the same speed as the HGVs, 56 mph, it is surprising what a difference 4mph can do to consumption. Instead of tear arsing to overtake trucks, just chill and tuck in. Get close enough behind and the truck will slip stream for you. (two second rule applies!) 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook