Gas bottles

Dunclair replied on 07/07/2023 21:45

Posted on 07/07/2023 21:45

There is a thread on here relating to gas bottles but it is a couple of years old now and things have changed, mostly because Calor don't sell small bottles any more.

About nine or ten years ago I bought a Safefill bottle. It has paid for itself. Not only on my being able to buy much cheaper gas, but the sheer convenience of going on a trip knowing that we have plenty of gas.

When I first bought the bottle there was an ignorant jobsworth who wouldn't let me fill the bottle but these days I have not had that problem at all. I bought the adaptors for Framce amd Spain but have never needed to use them. 

I can see the level of gas in my bottle and check it before I leave home. I have a fuel station close by that sells LPG at a veey competitive price so if I need to fill up, I do.

If you have the space in your locker, get a refillable gas bottle. You won't regret it.

peedee replied on 13/12/2023 08:28

Posted on 13/12/2023 08:28

I notice there seems to be an abundance of "patio gas" in various sizes. The tanks look bulkier than what vanners use because of the handles on them, but surely it is the same LPG and space permitting could be used in owners vans instead of the standard red 6Kgm or 4.5Kgm bottles?

peedee

hitchglitch replied on 13/12/2023 14:03

Posted on 13/12/2023 08:28 by peedee

I notice there seems to be an abundance of "patio gas" in various sizes. The tanks look bulkier than what vanners use because of the handles on them, but surely it is the same LPG and space permitting could be used in owners vans instead of the standard red 6Kgm or 4.5Kgm bottles?

peedee

Posted on 13/12/2023 14:03

B&Q do a 6kg Flogas metal propane cylinder - around £80 and £35 for a refill/exchange. I believe they also still do Gaslight (formerly BP) 5kg and 10kg in the lightweight, transparent, bottle. Both Propane. 
My previous Motorhome had a 20 litre LPG tank and the Safefill is 14.5 litres which is more than enough for my needs.

DaveCyn replied on 23/12/2023 13:34

Posted on 23/12/2023 13:34

Just been reading on another forum that Calor have had a rethink and are in the process of reintroducing the 3.9 propane and 4.5 butane bottles.

peedee replied on 23/12/2023 15:40

Posted on 23/12/2023 13:34 by DaveCyn

Just been reading on another forum that Calor have had a rethink and are in the process of reintroducing the 3.9 propane and 4.5 butane bottles.

Posted on 23/12/2023 15:40

I have also  seen a statement to that effect on FB.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook